Pleco Compatability Question

TattooMuncy

Jun 2, 2016
Muncy
Hey Guys-
Am new to the forum and in need of advice.

My question first- then I will explain the situation:
Is 250 gallons too small to house 2 adult common plecos that were not raised together?

Am building a 250 gallon indoor pond to house the red eared slider turtle and various fish i aquired via rescue.
The 11" turtle has lived peacefully with an 8"butterfly koi and a 12" common pleco in an old 100 gallon stock tank since I rescued them 2 yrs ago. Amazingly, this turtle is not a huge waste producer so water parameters remain good.
But I think everyone needs more room to move around, so we are building the pond.

A 12" blue tilapia will join them in the pond(a recent rescue being temporarily housed in a far too small for it 45 gallon).

Clients recently brought me another common pleco(9").
They tore down a tank and were just going to throw him out!!
(wtf is wrong with people??)
He is currently squeezed in the 45 with the Tilapia.

I know little to nothing about plecos and want to do right by these two.
I keep reading that 2 adult plecos(especially common) should not be housed together. I had hoped to move the turtle, koi, tilapia and both plecos into the 250 indoor gallon pond. Is there a way I could do so?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

**I had read that plecos are jumpers(as can koi and tilapia) - the pond will be 20" deep with a 28" lip and 6" interior overhang to keep everyone safely in

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
You could keep one pleco in the tank and the other in the pond and give each one turns in the tank. During the middle of winter you may need to put both back into tanks.
In Australia it is currently winter with some low swings in temp so I have emptied my pond and set up 2 4ft tanks for my pond fish and plants. Saves me heating the pond which is very difficult to keep heat in.