Pleco ID

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Looks to me like a Hypostomus-type Common plec. Its really difficult to get a species id on this type as there are a number that look similar.

Could you possibly get a picture with the dorsal fin up?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Hey , hacker , as Lornek says, lolks like a common. I realize u are new to the hobby and dig this guy, but we cant see your full tank and i was wondering if he has a cave? Plecs love to feel safe in a hidey place, caves are in their natural environment,so usually a good way to go .They also need wood to rasp on ,which helps their digestion. Just hard to say what you already have in his tank. Hope this helps.:)

Georgie

thehacker3

Dec 23, 2011
United States
Looks to me like a Hypostomus-type Common plec. Its really difficult to get a species id on this type as there are a number that look similar.

Could you possibly get a picture with the dorsal fin up?
Sorry, but I'm having trouble even getting a picture of the fish exposed. He hides all day! See below.

Hey , hacker , as Lornek says, lolks like a common. I realize u are new to the hobby and dig this guy, but we cant see your full tank and i was wondering if he has a cave? Plecs love to feel safe in a hidey place, caves are in their natural environment,so usually a good way to go .They also need wood to rasp on ,which helps their digestion. Just hard to say what you already have in his tank. Hope this helps.:)

Georgie
Zeebo, I have driftwood in the tank, and it's wedged against the class and gravel, creating a sort-of cave. As seen here:

The pleco is in the red circle; here's a closeup, where you can barely make out the outline of him. He's upside-down, sucking on the wood.

I was thinking of taking a section of PVC pipe and painting it blue, as a makeshift cave. Is this a good solution?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would not introduce painted surfaces into the water, you just do not know what toxins they have. Another option might be for a slate or clay cave which you could dig into the gravel or cover with the gravel. Looks like a brand new tank and set up. Hope it is cycled well. cheers jk :thumbup: