Pls help sex L260's

Misha

Oct 12, 2009
Brisbane
Pls help sex these, 3.5 yrs old approx 9cms. Different head shape but both have hairy tails and odontodes. From same spawn. I've heard of hairy female L260's. What do you think?

Thanks,
Shaun

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I'm no expert, but going by head shape and hair on the pectoral fins the first pic would be top male and bottom female. But again just a guess.:dk:

Misha

Oct 12, 2009
Brisbane
L260's

Until recently I had 3 L260's. 2 were the spitting image of each other (as in top fish in first shot) - exact same head shape with more slender body, same growth rate. They fought each other, and 1 died. Then there was the fish in the bottom shot - different head shape to the other 2, slower growth rate and more placid.

Is it possible to have 2 mature fish from the same batch with different head shapes that are the same sex? What's more important to ID - headshape or hair?

Cheers,
Shaun

Last edited:

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
They are both males. One is more dominant than the other, that's why he's got a more pronounced headshape.

Here's a picture of my breeding group of wc L260:

Male

Female

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
im going with 2 males also... at that same size and from same spawn would indicate same sex to me... dont think they are both girls so it leaves 2 x males

very rarely do males and females from same spawn grow at the same rate...