pls what is this ?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
http://

this is a deceased harlequin raspbora from my 54g tank. Yesterday I began treatment for popeye due to loosing 3 fish over a period of a month. Treatment is gentle ,fix twins, due to recent strong med for IP's. That is cleared up ,but the popeye returned , now this. The other one does not yet have the hole that this one has, but has all other visual probelms. Was this guy chewed on ,or is it something else ?

Can anyone tell me what this is ? There is another HR that looks to have same prob. Loss of color, loss of appetite, and both eyes popeye. This dead one had very mild popeye, the other has same, but before treatment ,eyes were worse. What is going on ? I have 2 L128's in this tank and worry ,actually freaking. thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
It is hard to say but it can be that other fish had a nibble. It is sad that the other have this but keep on treating and water changes. I would keep am eye on the Ls though. Sorry jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi jk, this fish looked fine the previous day, but another looks sick, as i mentioned, so I will continue treating with the ''fixes'' ,BUT should I still do daily 10% wc's while medicating ?

Yes,thanks, i am keeping an eye on my phantoms ! and praying this problem is resolved after the treatment.

Think the rummys brought the probs in, all was fine before that.

So daily wc's while medicating ,right ?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
lots of water changes, what is the water like, what do you use (tap water, RO, rain water,?)
have you tried ESHA2000 ? - i find it better than the 'fixes' for any significant infection/illness. but you cant beat really good water to help fish.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
It's really difficult to tell anything from dead fish as appearances can change a lot after death and before it's found. As its so quick between the fish showing symptoms (or not) and death it's probably something bacterial. You may need to go something stronger but if your concerned due to the recent medicating history you could try to hold off to see if the current treatments are working.

What are the water parameters? Would help to determine if you need to do daily water changes, or not.

Esha2000 is not available in the US.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You ever considered disposing of the small fish showing these symptoms?

This is what I would do. Sounds cruel but that's the way it goes.
When ten chickens are sick we dispose of them to protect the others and it helps bring down the chances of the sickness spreading.
Sorry it's the farm kid in me speaking but it's proven to work.

IME these bacterial infections are relentless and usually once you see signs of it you're too late.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi guys, thanks to all who responded.

Irene, I use tap ,conditioned with Prime.
Cant get esha in US.
doing wc's daily again (missed 2 days due to medicating) but now wc,the add meds , started that yesterday.

Lornek, thanks,that fish was alive when u netted him out into a cup of tank water--he died within one minute, I removed the body and qucikly too a pic. So that is a very true and fresh pic if the porblem.
My wate is -amonia -0, ni-0, na 10, ph 6.8 temp 80.1

Jackson-the one who had popeyes has gone back to noramal by 2nd day of treatment. Still, concerns me because loosing color , wont eat and keeps away from other fish. I am trying to catch him to pluck him out of there but he is still too fast . I agree it would be better to get him out but he is quick still. As soon as he weakens enough to be caught , i plan that .

thanks again all, and hope these meds work, crossing fingers.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good luck, could there be any unwanted chemicals in the tap water? do you have access to good rain water? do you have any plants (they help to absorb toxins out of the water)?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
good luck, could there be any unwanted chemicals in the tap water? do you have access to good rain water? do you have any plants (they help to absorb toxins out of the water)?
Hi Irene, as for the unwanted chemicals in the tap, i got a list last year from the water dept and pretty much same as used in many public water supplies. I dont trust the rain water , and no real plants, only silk.

I gotta say, I have been wracking my brain as everythng was fine for so long, but thinkng about it , this all started when I added the rummynose tetra. I found out later that they were kept in a tank at the store where wild cardinals and wild caugh plecs had been in. This seems to make sense ,except the rummys are fine.

thanks for helping me try to figure this out, and now I just gotta hope the meds clear up eveything......while i bite my nails and vow never to use that aquarium store again.