Possibly a L235

jatkbay

Jul 1, 2010
Omaha
New member here, anyway I got this little guy a couple weeks ago under the impression it was a peppermint. I know just like the other thread just a day or so ago. Anyway after seeing his post I'm nearly certain it may be the L235 Pseudolithoxus anthrax. Here's a few photos, the only big difference I see is there is no growth to the sides of the mouth. That may be something that comes with age, this one is almost 2" right now. Same with the shorter pectoral fins, they seem much longer in most of the photos I'm finding of the 235. Some of the shots are kinda grainy since I was shooting high ISO. Thanks in advance.

4750068671_51b0b5f92f_o.jpg

4750070007_3817326268_o.jpg

4750711710_62fd5c0df2_o.jpg

4750746896_eff4ed0a19_o.jpg

If no pics, standby for technical difficulties.... fixed it.

Last edited:

jatkbay

Jul 1, 2010
Omaha
Wow, I am going to say those pics are spot on, and no right now he's not in a giant tank. I was actually going to look at a 150g for the basement this weekend and move into what I thought would be advanced level, this however changes things. If I decide to keep... I almost must go custom (due to width). I'll peg the decision within the next week, I might have to take it back. The big tank was going to be for a couple Red Tiger Oscars, think they would play nice when all of them are bigger? I'm actually worried about the oscars, 39" is giant!

jatkbay

Jul 1, 2010
Omaha
"Although very beautiful, it is not a fish to keep in normal aquaria." I will vouch for the beautiful part. Another page said average adult size 16" which I could pull with a 150g, or better so with a square custom. But is it worth the trouble, especially since it loses the white spots in maturity.

The more research I do the more I think... take it back and just get the 150g for the oscars. So much for being a peppermint that would get along with my cichlids.

Willing to take any thoughts here, not entirely sure I want my next tank to exceed the 500g mark, which going the custom route it very well may do, and the tankmate consideration is huge to me. Stupid Pun, that was not intended! lol. Its current mates are couple EB Jack Dempseys and a couple Convicts (all female), who currently get along great. They learned not to mess with him right away, his tail dominates anything that gets close. Thanks.

Jarrod

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
"Although very beautiful, it is not a fish to keep in normal aquaria." I will vouch for the beautiful part. Another page said average adult size 16" which I could pull with a 150g, or better so with a square custom. But is it worth the trouble, especially since it loses the white spots in maturity.

The more research I do the more I think... take it back and just get the 150g for the oscars. So much for being a peppermint that would get along with my cichlids.

Willing to take any thoughts here, not entirely sure I want my next tank to exceed the 500g mark, which going the custom route it very well may do, and the tankmate consideration is huge to me. Stupid Pun, that was not intended! lol. Its current mates are couple EB Jack Dempseys and a couple Convicts (all female), who currently get along great. They learned not to mess with him right away, his tail dominates anything that gets close. Thanks.

Jarrod
Um, if you take a good look at the link I provided previously, you'll note the achieve much more than 16" at adult size. Looking more like 40" mark SL (standard length), which means to base of tail, including tail you'll be looking at around 50+" total length.

A quote from the previous link:
"To keep more than one individual would require a huge aquarium. A single adult male can easily be the most dominant fish in a 1000 gallon aquarium with other large neotropical fish, and other catfish housed with one need to be robust. There should be ample refuges for all the catfish, as when this fish decides to take one over it will regardless of whether the rightful owner is present or not. Care should probably be taken not to house them with other highly competitive loricariids such as Pseudacanthicus etc., as this is likely to result in serious injuries or death to one or both fish.

One specimen was observed to have killed a very large P. gibbiceps by stripping the skin from the fish when it tried to escape into a refuge that was too small.
"

jatkbay

Jul 1, 2010
Omaha
LorneK8 - I wasn't discrediting the info you provided, just saying on initial analysis that I had found several pages that said in an aquarium their growth is stunted and they max at 16", also another said max at 10". Fantastic ID though, spot on, good attention to detail.

I've decided to assume the max number and take it back, the store said it was cool and I'm not even seeking a refund (only 20 anyway) even though it's not the peppermint the label listed. The mix with tigers would probably end up as mentioned in the link though. Either way, thanks for all the help. I'll be back when I find the peppermint I was originally looking for.