Question about woodeaters

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
Hey guys. I just have a quick question about my L397s and I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread with this question, so I thought I'd post it here. Is it ok for L397s or any woodeaters in general to just have a diet that is soley wood? The reason I ask is because my 2 x 7cm L397s wont accept any wafers or vegetables over the last couple of months and I am a little bit worried about their longterm health.

The water parameters are:
ph - 7.2
KH - 3 degrees
Nitrate - 15-20ppm (at it's worst).

The tank is quite small and holds about 28 litres.

Thankyou.

Regards, Luke.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow that is a small tank indeed 28liters.
Anyway, if the wood is mature enough it should be fine. i used to feed mine also zuchinni and veggie wafers, but only once a week. Just look at their bellies and monitor the poo that is left behind. That should also give you and indication. What I also do in spring is, get a large bucket, fill with treated water ( conditioned) and put in wood in there. Leave outside for 2 weeks in the sun. So much aufwuchs will grow on this wood that you can then just swap it around with the tank one etc. cheers jk :thumbup:

michael

Mar 19, 2010
Townsville
I dont think youre worried about there health!!!!
Putting 2 7cm l397 in a 28litre tank.
Go live in the boot of youre car for 2 months.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Wow that is a small tank, what is it 1ft cube? I presume you have something like an eheim 2213 classic canister on it as well? Adds a few more liters.

Try the Sera catfish chips. I have found my cherry shrimp and L397 juvies really go for them. They are mostly adler wood with some good vitamin mineral goodies in as well.

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
Cheers for your replies. I think you're right and that tank size might be the issue. A 28 litre tank might of been ok as young juvies but probably not anymore, so I'll look at a 2.5 footer or something similar. The main reason I never upgraded is because I am living with family atm and I am a little limited on how many tanks I can have in our townhouse and what size, but I will look at upgrading.

I have tried the sera catfish chips but they aren't overly keen on those either. :(