ram/parasite and salt ?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
back to this wild caught ram I have . She is in the 5g q tank . There is something on her side ( it can be seen on previous thread , right near the side circle ) .It appears to be hanging off her side, but attached. It is not fuzzy like a bacterial infection. I put a tbsp of aq salt in , and plan to do a small wc and add another tbsp of aq salt every other day.. am I doing it right ? the temp is 80d . thanks

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
External parasite can be treated effectively with praziquantel, this is probably the safest method. If you are experience with copper treatment, I would recommend that but you will need to have a copper test kit to safeguard against overdosing and killing the fish as well. Salt bath treatment is only mildly effective.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi l-m, thanks for the response. So I checked her out with a magnafine glass and it doesn't look like an external parasite now --it did look like some worm-like white thing was attached , but today with the glass it looks different ,looks like some scales are missing in that place . She has been eating and got a little electric blue at her mouth and a few spots on body.

I was treating her with the fix twins prior to the salt , but now i am very confused on what to use because now it has changed , don't see any worm-like critter, just the missing scales . !! any thoughts ? really appreciate . Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
oh damn, it's ich :cry: so I began treating with Quick Cure by A-pro , ingredient : malachite green . She is still in the 5g for treatment, but now I will need to watch the 30g where she was over a week ago till i plucked her out . She has it on her fins and spine and and her tail .

Thanks l-m for trying to help me . Crossing fingers she makes it and hope the 30g is safe . Georgie

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
have you got her in a quarantine tank ? makes it easier to monitor. However if it is def ich, then you would have to treat the whole tank anyway. and as usual more oxygen flow and more water changes and higher temps help. I am not a lover of salt at all. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi jk, yes thanks, she is in a 5g q-tank --has been in there for a while now since i first noticed the wormy thing.

Yep, got an air stone in there and dropped the water level a little. There is good oxygen.

Right about the aq salt--it did nothing...but this was the first time i have used it...so i tried it and no results, and now using Quick Cure. fingers still crossed. thanks :) Georgie

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Be cautious with your diagnosis. Ich is one of the most mis-diagnosed diseases in the aquarium. Anytime anything white shows up its immediately diagnosed as ich. Based on what I am hearing, the fact that this is supossed to be wild-caught, then the worm-like appearance on the side, then the missing scale appearance and now the ich like appreance, I am would be watching for a bacterial infection. Its quite common in wild-caught fish and can creat an ich-like appearance as the body slime starts to flake off. Not saying it can't be ich be just try to make sure.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Lorne, thanks , did not realize that other things could look like ich. So as you have been following this thread, yep , all things i described happened in succession . Lastly was the noting of her fins especially --looks like salt all over her fins and some where the worm-like thing was/scales missing- looks like a clump of ich there , then more salt like bits on her her body as well. I can see it when she swims away from me -looks like she is almost loaded with this salt like stuff. Hence thought it was ich.

Today will be the third day of Quick Cure , but after 2 days she looks same so you may be correct. I just didn't know bac infections could look same as ich. Oh dear, not sure what she has now.:dk: mow i am at a crossroads on what to do . thanks, Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
tried to get a pic of her , esp her side fins --one is loaded ,but hard to see because she is flapping so fast ,the pic of her fins just looks like a blur. She is still eating . Georgie