Ripariums

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Rather than make myself look an idiot on another forum i thought i would make an idiot of myself here where people know me lol......what is a riparium? looks like half water half land but i thought that was a paludarium!!

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I think a riparium is a tank with plants that grow in and then grow above the water level but are planted in the substrate which is in the water as opposed to the paludarium which is more like a swamp i guess with some of the substrate out of water as well as under water and plants that are for in water and out:dk:

does that make sense lol

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
hmm ok, there is no land above the water level in a riparium, the plants grow out of the water.
in the other one you have to have land plants and water plants

i think

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
They are actually quite interesting lol....learn something new everyday.

The whole concept of a riparium is that you are simulating the bank of a riverbed or pond, without actually creating any physical dry ground (that would be a paludarium). So you get to grow your aquatic plants emersed in hanging planters, which means they grow much faster. Not only that, but aquatic plants often have very different forms when grown emersed, which means you often get completely different leaf shapes, growth patterns, and even flowers!
ripariums - riverbank aquascaping

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
See i was right:D

They do look interesting, but i think i prefer either a paludarium or just normal planted tank:dk:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Ripariums are a very rare way of growing plants....I have only ever seen one. seen loads of paludariums. although I have had plants grow out of the water I would never say I had a riparium..there are people out there (I dont know where, like I said rare...special people) who devote there life and all the time they have to these. Its very interesting...but the work and maintenance seemed way too much for me.
On another forum that i am a member on i saw 4 or so people setting one up in a couple of threads so not that rare really

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
There was a good riparium thread on "PlanetCatfish" in "tanktalk" recently,and on "UKAPS". Ripariums/Terrariums are popular in Europe, and have been for quite a time.
cheers Darrel

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Was Looking through that one on UKAPS.

I did ask a question on there but it seems it has been lost under all the new posts.

Darrel, do you know what they do with the "hangers"? they look like they could be an eye sore. Do they just cover them up with hardscape and plants?

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Yes I think they rely on the "hangers and planters" being covered by the growth. If you want a more "organic" look you could use cork bark as your base, this would actually probably be a better rooting medium for many plants.
You could also fasten aquarium sponge to the back wall just below the water level.

Cyperus "Umbrella plant", Amazon Swords and Crinums you can just plant these in a pot in the tank and they will soon grow emergent out above the tank.

cheers Darrel