Royal Whips

jacksonsjones

Jul 5, 2010
Sydney
Hi All,
Just wanting some advice about some royal whiptails. Apparently males can be distinguished by their "ear hairs". Can anyone tell me the age or size the whiptail must be for these "hairs" to be present?
I have one which is about 12cm with no "hairs" so I am assuming it is a girl, but I just purchased two more at about 8cms long and they too have no hairs.
I am wondering if my latest additions are two girls or if they are too young to have the hairs, thus too young to sex them.

Can anyone help?

J

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
they can be problematic to sex, until they reach full maturity, and even then, only when in breeding condition.
Irene on here has had several in the past looking for a female and thinking she found some, only for them to suddenly sprout a nice healthy beard soon after going in with the others.
my advice would be to get several to grow on, then seperate if possible whan you find any males.

L273

Oct 5, 2010
worcester, UK
my advice would have been similar to scatz. but in the past i have found the males even when 15cm-ish have had very little hairs on the side of the head and you really have to look up close to notice them making sexing a bit tricky at times.