Sailfin Problem

sailfinfan

Jun 8, 2010
Queensland
Gday Everyone, My sailfin is about 9-10 cm and supposedly has got Protozoan Parasite { Flagellates } One of his poops the other night was like white cotton, it was cotton a bit of poop, cotton a bit of poop.. he is still eating and active, and his stomach is not shrunken.. I was told to treat him with Metronidazole, you can get from a vet.. I live in a country town in Queensland, Australia and am having a hard time getting some, Im just wondering whether a normal Parasite eliminator medication will be enough to treat this.. Thankyou for any advice on this problem.. Cheers

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey, can you get that avitrol(not sure if spelt right) bird wormer, that contains metro as well as levamisole

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
From memory you can't actually get Metro over the counter here, you need to get it through a vet. You may be lucky, there was someone who was selling it on another forum but I haven't seen it advertised in quite some time.

Otherwise check through this list
http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74
It has products, ingredients and what they treat so have a read through and you should be able to get a few different ideas on products that are available to you.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I would make double sure of that you have correctly identified the problem first. if he is behaving Ok and eating etc then he is not about to keep over, so check out a few things first., maybe. it sounds like whatever med you pick might be difficult to get dosage and may have risks associated with it?
What are you feeding him? food can make poo do strange things.
maybe put him on a diet of just shelled peas, no other food for a few days and see how poo gets on?

sailfinfan

Jun 8, 2010
Queensland
Thanks Everyone for your help, I am feeding him vegi discs, but also hes eating Hikari pellets And Spectrum Ciclasoma pellets that i feed my other cichlids.. I am not 100% on what hes actually got, i Know hes still active and still eating.. So a change of diet might help ? And should i use a Medication Called Parasitic Eliminator as a precautionary thing for him and my other cichlids.. Thanks for all your replies and advice.. Cheers

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Avitrol contains prazi and levamisole.

Are you sure about what he has?

Thanks for correction:wb: I know its prazi but not sure where metro came from.

Whats in the Parasitic Eliminator?