Sex my vampires please

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Anyone up for a bit of fun sexing my 9 vampires? They aren't quite mature yet but they aren't far off it and there's a bit of fighting going on in their tank recently. Think I should split them up?

Fishie 1. 12.5cm.

Fishie 2. 11.0cm.

Fishie 3. 10.0cm.

Fishie 4. 10.5cm.

Fishie 5. 10.5cm.

Fishie 6. 12.0cm.

Fishie 7. 12.7cm

Fishie 8. 8.5cm.

Fishie 9. 9.0cm

hinchles

Feb 13, 2012
UK
side pictures would be helpful as dorsal size is one of the easiest ways of telling m/f in 007's

they look fairly even to me though i can't really check as i sold the last of my 007's in january.

1 f
2 m
3 f (definately)
4 m
5 f
6 m
7 f
8 m
9 m

the fighting won't so much be the m/f ratio it'll be unless they're in a big ass tank they'll be territory fighting I found my 007's were REALLY territorial.
I ended up with 1 m 2 f's in a 4 footer and they still scrapped over space.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
hows about a group photo(s) from above... males have wider and elongated head... im guessing anything 12cm and over = def male....
and anything under 10cm = def female and anything in the middle we'll flip a coin....

male dorsal fin is supposed to be bigger... if that helps bren....
havent tried to sex mine yet....
i musta lost one too... i have 9 also :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
They are still in the one 6ft, with plenty of caves and wood and a bit of slate. I will keep an eye on them. No one looked too skinny or anything so they must be all getting a good feed without molestation. Did I mention the killer male zeb is still living in their tank? They don't fit in his little cave and he knows it. :)

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
lol.... they will get him one day... maybe not today or tomorrow... but some time in the future.... mine have royal whiptails in with them and they eat the fry but dont bother the adults... yet!!!