Sex my Zebra Plecos Please L046

hdbikersbabe

Jun 14, 2014
Ohio
I have 2 Zebra Plecos. I am wanting to try and sex them. I have researched and I think they are as follows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think this is a female

here is a picture of both of them together

I think this is a male

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
from your pics they are pretty poor quality fish....

one as said badly deformed head... unusual - never seen anything like it myself... it looks a little female with fatter U-shape body and it has shorter rear fanning fins also... but all the fins look a little damaged too...

are these wc or local bred - do you know?

hdbikersbabe

Jun 14, 2014
Ohio
Wow I didn't expect these guys to be poor quality. Maybe it's the camera phone I will try to get different pictures.

The deformed head on the one the it told me was normal. Looking at all the pictures of others I can see they are not. He had a book with a picture of one in it with a similar nose but not as smashed.

I got them from a guy in Cincinnati I do not know their origin.

hdbikersbabe

Jun 14, 2014
Ohio
Correction: I contacted the gentleman I got them from and this is what he had to say:

"I bought fry from Eric Bodrock (Pittsburgh) and Stephan Tanner (Columbus).

The book was Back to Nature by Ingo Seidel."

However I do not know from which they were from.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
The snub nose deformity told me the fish was tank raised and that one looks more like a female. One should never buy or sell a deformed fish, of course he would say it is normal as most people would not buy a deformed fish, let alone paid full price for it. Buying deformed fish is a rookie mistake, next time make sure to get proper pictures of the fish before buying it.

I have a signed copy of Back to Nature book, I dont remember seeing a picture of deformed L46 in that book. On which page is it on?

Last edited:

hdbikersbabe

Jun 14, 2014
Ohio
Thanks everyone for the information.

Leisure_man as helpful as you were I didn't expect to be judged for my purchase. Enjoy your signed copy of Back to Nature.

Again, thanks everyone. Consider this post closed!

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
its not recommended to breed a deformed fish as it tends to breed more deformities...

but firstly one must assess if it is a birth defect or an injury healed wrong...
if its a birth defect one must make a decision whether its caused by breeding brother sister too many times in the line -> hence it will definitely throw more deformed fish..... or its a one off deformity and it still carries perfect genes to pass onto its siblings.... a man born with one arm doesnt reproduce kids with one arm... and using this basic theory it is possible the above fish will breed 100% good fry...

my very first original 333 male i got 10 years ago has a semi boof head -> looks like its ploughed the glass too many times... this male has bred 1000's of fry and not one deformity.... and a few people that bought fry bred brother sister and also had perfect fry...

so now your armed with some more knowledge and previous experience from 333's you can make a decision if you wish to breed the deformed fish...

my personal opinion is avoid it if at all possible but you may not be able to afford/find another fish to take its place....

end of the day its totally your call :thumbup: