Sexing L002

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hi, number 3 is your alpha male. I would say number one is a different species of panaque to the others -belly pattern very different.
others could be females or subordinate males, I am not very good at telling the difference, sorry. non look really gravid so I would feed them up more. what is their diet?
tell me about their tank. how big? temp? water etc, water changes etc.
photo of tank may help

Dayday

Jan 27, 2012
Australia
Thanks Irene, I was wondering why the 1st one's colour didn't change when I took it out of the water. I wonder what breed it is, any ideas??? As I got the lot from 2

They live in a 4 foot tank, bare bottom, with lots of drift wood and a few cherry shrimps. Water conditions are decent. Ph 6.5, dH is 8, temp 26.5. Water changes about 10% every 2-3 days but I drain about 10-15 litres a day.

Running a canister filter, power head and 2 large sponge filters

I feed them either pumpkin, zucchini, and cucumber. I feed them about 4 inches in length worth of cucumber.

I've had them for about 3 years now and still nothing, got them when they were about 5cm.

Attachments

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
If you could get close ups of the genital region would be good the males papilla is more smaller and pointed and the female is somewhat fatter. This is what i go by:) but i agree with above and fees up a bit more:)

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
thats because you have 5 males! :cry::cry::cry: :yes::yes::yes:

theres one dominant male and the rest all look like spare males! prob not what you wanted to hear!

and no1 is either nicely coloured 202 or a 397 IMO... :)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hi, tank sounds good.
try conditioning with a little more protein in the diet for a week or two, try a prawn (defrosted is fine) in a clip or on a fork so can see if they come out and eat it and can remove after 25 hours and a few mixed flakes. see if this fattens any up or changes behaviour. how many caves do you have and what sort. tank photo?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sorry just spotted tank pic.
are there just the 2 semi-circle caves? and wooden round caves? or others?

does the alpha use one as his main domain -ie has established territory? if not I would add some more different caves. they like a choice and vary where they sit with respect to current. did you see my breeding log of Gold Stripes which are a very similar fish?

Dayday

Jan 27, 2012
Australia
Thanks Johnno, I was afraid of that actually. That explains quite a lot. Looks like I'll have to get busy hunting for females. But there are 2 that are quite smooth no hair like anything or spikes

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Try fattening them up a bit by adding hikari algae wafers. One per two fish at most.
I would also get some round log bristlenose caves as my males tend to like those the best.
Lift up that driftwood and hide the caves under there. The more overhang over the opening the better.
I didn't really see any obvious females either but fed up more they may change.

Dayday

Jan 27, 2012
Australia
Thanks guys, I had 4 caves and lots of hiding spaces but only the alpha male went into 1 particular cave, none of the others ever go into it. It was then I decided to get rid of the the other caves

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I would add more caves, because if the others are male they may choose to fight him for possession of the cave. it is very hard to sex these so I would try and find a female, but also feed these like one might be female. the first different one I would move out to another tank.

plecofan09

May 7, 2009
Sydney Aus
Dayday,
fish one is a LDA01 you see how when you turn him upside down he has al that stripe on his belly the rest dont.
and i think the rest are a mix off l002 ans L397 but most of them looks like males.
Hope that helps

Dayday

Jan 27, 2012
Australia
Thanks everyone, I'm still feeling weird about the odd one as I got it from a breeder who breeds L002's and Peppermints and nothing else, have no idea where the odd one came from.

When I place them all back in the water, after about an hour they all look exactly the same (they get their colour back). Can't tell them apart, it's only when I take them out their colour change