Sexing l046

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Well, the picture is off focus couples with reflection from the flash, I can't tell which sex it is. A better picture would definitely help, try putting the fish in smaller container with shallow water. It helps to focus on the fish rather than the water surface.

Here is a picture of a trio of L46 I have. The 2 on the left are females, and the one on the right is a male.

Raul-7

Oct 21, 2011
CA
Second is definite male; the first is male. Last is female.

Has anyone successfully been able to sex them by looking at their genitalia?

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I vent plecos all the time. The problem is I don't have 3 hands to document the process. I need one hand to hold the pleco, and two hands to operate the camera. Sometime, it takes both hands just to hold on to the pleco. Since mature L46 are easy to tell from top and side view, it is somewhat unnecessary to 'man-handle' the fish to get a vent view.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Most clear containers are plastic one where the bottom is usually heavily scratched. Glass containers usually end up in pieces in my fish room so I don't have any. BTW, most containers, plastic or glass, the bottom is thicker as well. Again, holding a glass container with water over one's head and try to take picture is just too acrobatic for me to perform by myself. Maybe you can set one up with a glass tank on a table with part of the table top cut out so you can take picture lying down under the table looking up to the tank bottom.