Sexing L046's

plecking

Apr 24, 2013
Sydney
Hi Guys,
Hoping if you could sex these young L046’s. They're about 1.5-2 years old and at 5.5cm. Any help in determining the sex would be much appreciated. :)
Thanks,

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
They are still too young to breed. The one with the deformed snout is probably a male, but not 100% sure since it suffers the 'bullnose' (snub nose) deformity which deform and flatten out the snout. His other features do indicate a male. The other two are most likely females but they are both abit skinny.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
agree, the snub nose could be male as has quite thick rays on front fins. others could be female or subordinate males. def need a good feed up anyway.

plecking

Apr 24, 2013
Sydney
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Also, I have been trying to fatten these Zebs but they are really picky and shy. Any suggestions on the optimum food for them? :) I have only been feeding them Hikari Carnivore pellets and occasionally Hikari Algae Wafers. I’m going to try frozen Bloodworms tonight..

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I would avoid bloodworms and try sera viformo, shrimp pellets, tetra color bits, frozen brine shrimp & daphnia. Mine love it & are little pigs as my recent photos show

Last edited:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I've read on here that tiny barbs on the worms can cause zebs to choke so I've always figured the risk outweighs the benefit

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree, bloodworms are also not 100% bacteria free and can/could carry foreign yuck bacteria. They can also cause bloat and block up the filters if they do not eat everything in one go. I would stay away from bloodworms and go with Nats fish suggestions. I also think snub nose is male, but the others need fattening up and are still too small too sex. cheers jk :thumbup:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
in last photo from top to bottom..... male - male {deformed head} - female

as for foods i have tried lots of different foods over the years and just recently in last few months i have gotten 32 eggs and 25 eggs in a single spawn which is almost double what you usually get....
and the food is @#$%^%^&*...... top secret :whistle::whistle::whistle:
combination of 2 frozen foods and they arent bloodworms... bloodworms with their hook can choke small fry but once fish are 5cm+ it isnt an issue... to get around this choking hazard defrost bloodworms and dice them up into tiny bits and then feed.... this is a good food for fry from 2-4cm - makes em grow quick.... been getting fry up to 3cm in under 6mths consistantly now...

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i feed once a day to adults and sub adults just after lights out...
feed fry up to 4 times a day...

strange diet irene.... something different... forgot to add i have ninja shrimp in the tank with them and im sure they knock off some of the babies... get their greens second hand :)