sexing L270

Lambo

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney , Australia
thanks Irene, they suppose to b male n female like u said. its was really hard tell, the only difference is the bottom 1 has a tube looking part beneath the belly with orange spots around it.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh, both look the same to me. but may not be sexually mature yet. second one looks a bit bloated, dont feed them algae wafers, use more peas.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
yellow spots appear on a lot of female plecos after they have spawned for the first time... well thats when i've noticed them anyway....

it does look like you have 2 girls now :)

Lambo

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney , Australia
hi guyz, its been over a month, after settling into their new home, been feeding well and happy ( i hope) i decided to take some more close up pictures of the L270 hoping to shed some more light on their sex. love to hear your opions

Attachments

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
very hard to be sure, often the male does not develop full characteristics till ready to breed. i suspect they are a little young to be totally sure.

Lambo

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney , Australia
Update

It turns out they r both female after all. ( well at least 1 of them is a 100%) It's the small darker one. I took on foti advise n got me self a mature male. After seeing this guy, looking back at the other two, I can c a big difference straight away. The hair, the head and the body shape, it really stands out. Anyway, after got the male i put him with the other two which were caving in separate cave at that moment. Next thing I know that night the male trap the small female in a cave. 1 and a half day later, he's fanning his clutch of eggs :woohoo: which make me think, either I'm lucky to get two female or the seller stuff him self up by thinking he sold me a breeding pair :D. For all that is worth, his lost is my gain. Now the questions has been answered. Thanks for all your opions