Sexing Peppermints

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
Hi Everyone!

Just received a breeding colony, was told it is 2 males and 4 females, agree with the two big males, concern another is male too, @ 9cm got one bristle on its nose just behind the two usual ones pointing forward, got told some female pepps are like this????? (pic with single fish) Has anyone out there have a female pepp with bristles behind the two pointing foward, on the head??????

Other three has a lot of bristles around the lip, I mean lots, @ 7-8cm, do females (if females) breed at this size? (pic with group of fish)

All opinions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
I have put them into the colony with my other pepps, so would be hard to pull them out, any other opinions would be appreciated! Thanks Brengun, you are always helpful!

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
Hey Chee Nina's female has a third bristle like your first pic so could be female. I'll come around one day to check them out and borrow your discus breeding cone if I could lol

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
as we say in Australia....fair dinkum.....with shots like that, how do you seriously think we can make out F or M. As you had them out why not have take single shots from above. Briefly looking at what you have given us, you might have 2 F, but cant be sure. Just my honest opinion as you asked. cheers jk :thumbup:

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
Thanks for trying JK, the fish had only arrived from Cairns and they were freezing cold, did my best to get them settle with min stress, I know I did not receive 4 females but no point stressing over it now, you learn from your mistakes!!!!!

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Don't get too down about it chee. Peps are not like common bristlenose and the females will get bristles although when adult still not to the extent that the males do. The best method i know of to be sure of sexing is as per brenguns method of checking for the squishy nose (gotta love those technical terms) :p
If you ever have them out again give it a try but i think you're sure to have a couple of each.
Whenever i get new fish i do try to get a few good shots of them individually before they get housed. I find it helps for my own reference later on and as bigbird says it's also very useful if you should happen to want to ask the gurus here for their thoughts/opinions etc.
Live and learn but most of all enjoy:thumbup: