Sick pleco

Jenna

Sep 22, 2020
Cleveland Ohio
According to local Petco advice
I started her on this yesterday and cleaned about 1/3 of her tank
I must admit I haven't been the best tank cleaner but I'm going to do better!
Thanks for respond to me

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,
If he has not had contact with other (new) fishes, he can not get sick from them. But he could have gotten so sick.
Your feeding schedule seems pretty sparse. (No pleco chips?) I would think he is missing something.
They are usually kept at slightly higher temperatures. Then the feed turnover is also higher.
I think you will have a filer at the aquarium. The water purifier will have no influence.
I would also offer him other foods, especially those that are higher in protein.
Greetings
Elko

Last edited:
Reactions: kristyjackson

Jenna

Sep 22, 2020
Cleveland Ohio
Hello,
So you're saying she needs more heat? I offered her some shrimp and she's still not eating, kindly tell me what to do to save her if you know.
What do you think about the medicine I'm giving her ?
Thanks

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

I can tell you that these plecos come from warmer habitats and that the food turnover is greater at higher temperatures. But I don't know how he reacts if you raise the temperature in this situation.

If you want to give medicine, you have to know against what.
You can have the pleco examined by a veterinarian. In Germany they would probably kill the fish to examine the stomach and intestines. With a solitary animal ... I would do that if it could save a group.

I think shrimp are too big. I would think of mosquito larvae.

So, I would try different foods: Pleco chips, zucchini, potatoes, walnut leaves, sea almond leaves, mosquito larvae, ...

Greetings
Elko

kristyjackson

Dec 22, 2020
Hi. I just read your post and I hope your pleco is doing fine now. If still not here's my advice, you should keep your water temperatures mild. They like waters that are in the mid-seventies. Although they can thrive in water temperatures that are lower or higher than this, they do best in a moderate temperature. Are you feeding your pleco at night? I suggest feeding your pleco before you head to bed as they are nocturnal. You can also try food supplements such as algae wafers or shrimp pellets.