Small tank ideas

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
Hey guys,
At the start of the year I moved to Melbourne for university and just recently decided to get back into the hobby (been out of the hobby for about 2 years or so but getting back into it!) and due to space constraints I figured a small tank would be great to get back into the groove of things before I find my own place next year.
Like any university student, I impulse bought a small fish tank. It's about 8-10 gallons and I was wondering what I could do with it?
It's an AR-380 (38cmx25cmx45cm) and I've never really dealt with tanks this small before so I'm a little unsure what to do.
The tank is cycling at the moment and I plant to let it do so for another month before I get anything so I have heaps of time to figure out what to get!
I'm not too keen on a Betta set up but if I can, want to develop a really vibrant community tank but space constraints being an issue, I have no idea what I can really do with this

So far the fish I definitely want to get are Corydoras Pygmaeus. From what I can tell, they are the only bottom dwelling fish or catfish I can keep in the tank.
I have also gotten suggestions for Boraras Brigattae and Rasbora Maculata's to fill in the upper and middle collumn. Celestial Danios I hear are also are an option as well.
Shrimp is a definite as well

But any suggestions for stocking, plants or set up would be much appreciated!!

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Unless you want to be a purist for biotype. I would consider a sand bottom, with a small planted piece of driftwood, maybe some anubias and mosses.

The pygmaeus are not a typical cory type catfish, they will shoal and swim mid water and also spend a decent amount of time resting. I have a shoal of unknown numbers now, started with 10, it's at least doubled through by breeding and they are often cruising about with rummy nose tetras.
I would suggest a small shoal of pygmaeus, some ottocinclus (once the tank has matured a bit) and either ember/gold tetras if you want to keep the fish amazon based or some of the small rasboras or danios you have already mentioned.you could also add shrimp as a clean up crew, just be aware that some of them will breed like rabbits and in a small tank you will have to be very cognisant of water quality issues if you overstock (not recommended)

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I did for near on 18 months, granted I only started with three ottos, once they started breeding and increasing in numbers I moved them into a bigger tank.

My stock was 10 C.pygmaeus, 3 O.vittatus, and two (male) CRS in an AR-380 ;-)

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
But remember the ottos generally do poorly in a fresh (unseasoned) tank. Everything that went into mine except for the substrate came out of other tanks including the water.