Smooth rocks or pebbles - SAFE?

friendlyfishy

Oct 2, 2011
uk
Hi,

I read somewhere that rocks or pebbles shouldn't be used in cory tanks, as corys can get trapped between them - is this true?

I ask because I had the idea to have plants running the length of the back wall of my tank, roots in the sand, but with smooth pebbles pushed down into the sand over where the roots are to stop up rooting by hoplos. I'm considering getting some Corys too, so want them to be safe.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I have smooth round rocks, and thin sand, in all my tanks and cories and never had any probs. if sand is deep be careful not to get any black spots, so maybe disturb the sand once every few weeks.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Its not really about what you use, but how you use it.
In order for corys to get trapped in smooth rocks, the rocks would need to be placed close together, as in filling the bottom of the tank completly with smooth rocks. There'd be gaps between the rocks & this is where the corys could get trapped. Fill these gaps with gravel/sand & the corys wouldn't be able to get trapped. Equally, space out the rocks & you should also be okay.

russ

Sep 7, 2011
Adelaide
I lost a Cory lastweek because it got trapped above my overgrown Watersprite plant and couldnt get back down into the water column.