SNEAKY BUGGERS

Lucky_Phil

Oct 13, 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Hey Guys,

Very excited this morning. I've been trying to get my BNs to breed for a few months and have been concerned that just about all of my BNs have bristles to some degree.... so I've been hunting high and low for someone to sell me a few adult females.

My tank is pretty heavily planted and has HEAPS of hiding places and a few good sized peices of drift wood and 5 breeding logs (all nicely decorated with Anubia, Java Moss or African fern).

Anyway, I have been keeping a pretty close eye on them and haven't noticed any of them hiding for any particular period of time.

This morning I have a look and notice 3 babies swimming around, no egg yokes or anything! Hopefully more will emerge from where ever they have been hiding.

So, my first batch!!!

Absolutely stoked!!... just wish I'd have seen what was going on so I could have the excitment of anticipation!.

Cheers,

Lucky:woohoo:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Excellent news, congrats on the spawn.
if you've seen 3 already, you can bet theres a fair few more hiding in there somewhere

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
:woohoo:Congratulations LOL i hope you have some extra tanks, these are my albino longfins and in my opinion they don't produce as many fry as standards, this is 1 batch.

Lucky_Phil

Oct 13, 2009
LOL yeh, I've got another 75l and a small 25ish litre. The smaller one is supposed to be my quarantine tank, but if I'm getting fry I probably won't be buying again soon.. So it will probably become a nursery tank (if I can catch any of the little buggers) If they're hiding in the African fern I could go without seeing them for weeks!

The larger one is currently housing 1 large Angel, which I put in there weeks ago when I got some Neons and HOPING I might get fry...

I've still only spotted a couple... I've got a fair few trumpet snails in the tank. Do you think they could have decimated the eggs?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
the trumpet snails shouldn't have hurt the eggs, plus the male bn would have kept them at bay.
if you want to move them to another tank, but think they could all be hiding in the fern, can you remove the fern and put that into the other tank too?

Lucky_Phil

Oct 13, 2009
Hi Scatz,

Thought of that initially, but the driftwood the fern is attached to won't fit in the other tank.. I don't particularly want to hold it upside down and shake to see how many fall out.

Anyway, it's my first batch, so I won't freak too much if it's a small one... I thought that most of the BN's were a bit young (most around 6-7cm, with a single 11+cm boy).

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well done, yes cover filter intakes but check every day that they dont clog.

you obviously have one good femlae in there anyway!

Jagtazman

Nov 2, 2009
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
Sounds like my son's tank woke up a few weeks ago to my youngest telling me his brother has 4 baby Bn's, first I knew, must have been atleast a week old
The male is currently fanning another batch of eggs...