Snowball Pleco ???

PhishNFilly

May 10, 2012
Michigan
Can somebody please take a look at this vid I made of my new baby pleco and tell me if it's a snowball pleco, the cutie does a much better showing at the end of the video. Thanks for taking the time. I can't seem to embed the video but the link is working. Julia:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6BqyOk0qQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
That's one that would be called a Snowball. However there are more than one. Looks to me like Hypancistrus.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
could be one of many black plecs with white spots...

i got a couple 142 fry and they ended up being L082, Polka-dot cigar pleco but they looked identical to yours at 4-5cm

PhishNFilly

May 10, 2012
Michigan
Lorne and John many thanks in helping me find out exactly what I have. I wonder how big this pleco will get? I would love to get another actually, I just love it that much. Again, thanks verymuch. Julia:hi:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
A picture of the mouth would help because we can decide what genus it's in, and then the species.

The main contenders are Baryancistrus sp L142, Scobinancistrus sp L368, Hypancistrus contradens and inspector, at this size the all resemble each other.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i dont think its a 142... its tail spots are unlike ones i have and are different again to 082's i have... big spots on its body so 201 is prob not going to be it... although i have seen a few big spotted 201's.... but tail has spots uniformly through it also unlike fish in the vid....

although i cant say what it is i can eliminate a few possibilities imo :thumbup: