Snowballs don’t want to eat!

PhoenixKoi

Mar 1, 2021
Virginia
I joined this forum because I am a new owner of two snowball plecos, Onyx and Sable. I don’t want them to die because I love all my fish to death but also because they were 20-30 bucks each. When we brought them home I didn’t think they were going to eat so I only added some algae wafer on the second day. And then came the third day and those were untouched so I put more in. The the fourth day (today) I realized they still hadn’t eaten. We got both of them on the last Friday of February. We went back today to ask what food they had been feeding incase the Plecos didn’t know that it was food and we got the shrimp pellets they fed ( we already had the algae wafer they gave them) we put those in about 20 minutes ago so I’m hoping they eat them. This isn’t too much of an issue but I would like them to eat before we move them into the big tank. I will show pics of the tank, fish, and foods we feed along with one of the big tank. You guys tell me what I’m doing wrong because I don’t know what. And yes the small tank is only temporary for quarantine purposes. We also keep our tanks in the basement with heaters.

Attachments

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

if you don't see them eat for a few days, that's actually not a problem. Only when the belly collapses does it get serious.
What is the water temperature?

Shall the Snowball plecos share an aquarium with goldfishes?

Greetings
Elko

PhoenixKoi

Mar 1, 2021
Virginia
I moved the Plecos into the big tank with the goldfish yesterday. I thought that they may eat if they have more cover, also the quarantine tank had no algae. This morning the Plecos seem fine and the goldfish don’t seem to notice them or think they are fish. The water temp in the big tank is around 70 - 72F so I think it’s good there. Thank you for your help!

PhoenixKoi

Mar 1, 2021
Virginia
the smaller pleco died. I’m not sure how it happened but for the last day he hadn’t been hiding or sucking onto things. The only thing he did was twitch away from you if you scared him. The bigger one seems to be fine and I saw her out last night and I presume that she ate something. I know that she goes out at night to scavenge a little and then hide in a little corner all day. Is this normal pleco behavior? Do you know how the little one died so I can prevent it happening to the other one?!
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30-40
Ph: 7.0- 7.5