Sterbai Laid Eggs

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Ha. So I have suspected for the last few weeks that my Sterbai have laid eggs, but I haven't seen them. Today I kept watching closely as one pair engaged in their "T" position. Low and behold I found a few eggs underneath a leaf. There aren't many eggs underneath the leaf (maybe 5 or so), so I'm wondering if they've hidden more eggs underneath another leaf and I just haven't found them yet. Or, maybe they're new to this so there aren't many eggs. If at some point I find more eggs, I would be willing to try and hatch them out. I was successful with angelfish wigglers and fry once, so maybe I can give Corys a shot.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Congrats on the eggs :clap:

They could have just laid a few and got disturbed or are working up to a big spawn next time :whistle:

I've just started saving cory eggs and having quite success raising fry so give it a go, its fun to see the little guys :D

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
well done. Mine lay eggs all around the place in batches of 5 or 8 and under leaves, on rocks and wood and even on the filter parts etc. Good luck with the fry. cheers jk :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Hey thanks! I only found 2 leaves that had 2 or 3 fertilized eggs on them. Today I picked up 4 more Sterbai's (they're still pretty small) and I put them into a 20 gallon qt tank. I also pulled the 2 leaves and put them into the qt tank with the babies. I'll see what happens. I wasn't fully prepared for this so I need to research this a bit more. Cory eggs are a bit different from angelfish eggs (my angelfish had 164 babies). Now that I know they're spawing, I'll be watching for eggs again and hopefully I'll have a better idea of what to do next time :whistle:.