bham
hi could i ahve peoples thoughts on sex for these to sultans please:clap:

thx

sultan1 is around 8cm sultan 2 10cm

Last edited:

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
Do you ave any pics to the sides so you can see the operculum odontodes?

I would say you have a male and female there, but the probable female is a bit hairy down the body so a side-on could shed some more light...

The leading ray on the pectorals supports the first being female (not very thick or hairy leading ray) and the second being male (very hairy, thick leading ray).

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Too young to say, the head shape is far to similar to differentiate the two, although the pectoral fins do look quite thick this could be mere sub-dominance girth means nothing as yet due to the current size apposed to there over all length as adults.
Your fish look very healthy and very well fed, just need a bit mores size too them.
HTH

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
but the probable female is a bit hairy down the body so a side-on could shed some more light...
This species cant be differentiated by "hair" - odontodes, head shape is a dead give away come maturity page 15 Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfishes Ingo Seidel, Very good reference to sexing.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
the second one is much more robust looking than the first one....
guessing hes a male.....
roll the dice on the first one.... possibly female

a mate of mine had one and they look awesome in the flesh!!!! look after them you dont see many around....