Tetra with Shrimp - ok?

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Will hopefully be getting a group of CRS or Golden Yellow Shrimp soon, the tank they are going into currently has 2 black neons and 2 regular neons in it.

Plan is for a group of 10 shrimp with a view to breeding, for those that have done this should I remove the Tetra or not?

Can put them in big tank, last thing I want is to give them an expensive lunch :)

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Ultimately there is always a risk of the shrimplets getting eaten, however if your are looking at breeding by removing the fish they will be alot less stressed. Majority of breeders tend to have the shrimp alone.

what sort of tank setup ?

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
It is a Dymax IQ5 Pico, it's a little on the small side at 13l but I am going to give it a go.

Moss back wall is starting to grow through, have redmoor wood with Xmas moss and normal bog wood with Java moss.

I have no issue removing the fish, I suspected the usual 'if it fits in it's mouth' rule would apply, will just have to listen to Mrs Xingu's grumbling, 'it's boring without fish'.

Ryno

Aug 27, 2011
Sydney Australia
I have no issue removing the fish, I suspected the usual 'if it fits in it's mouth' rule would apply, will just have to listen to Mrs Xingu's grumbling, 'it's boring without fish'.
My mrs said the same until she saw the shrimp swimming around and females full of eggs. I had to pry her away so I could feed and clean, and am now I'm not sure who's tank it is lol :wacko:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would also tend to remove the fish, especially for the small baby crs.
I had all of my tanks just with shrimp in them. I must say, when they are established and they chase and swim around etc, it is absolutely stunning to see them move and in action. Like water ballet, simply mesmerising. Use a dark substrate if you can to bring outthe colour. good luck and all the best of luck. cheers jk :thumbup:

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I wouldn't have any fish with shrimp if you plan to breed. The adults may be ok but not the babies. I have experienced tetras ripping eggs from the belly of my shrimp before, once it started getting picked at the shrimp shed its eggs.

Shrimp are likely to drop eggs if they are threatened as well as shrimplets being eaten. I have also seen group mentality kick in when a shrimp went for a swim across my tank. One tetra had a go and the shrimp was fine but then gradually more joined in until the shrimp was in half and getting snatched from fish to fish like a game of rugby.

I would avoid fish with shrimp. Heavily planted setups might help you get away with it. I just know my shrimp population would never get out of hand when they were in my community tank even though my shrimp were always full of eggs. Now the angels are in there the last survivors have gone even with most of the bottom covered with planting.

Another thing is that shrimp can live in small spaces but they don't breed much if at all when confined.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Fish will go based on all the above.

One thing that popped into my head today, I have a trickle filter thing, like an overflow essentially, I am going to have to glue some fine mesh over that otherwise any smaller Shrimp will no doubt go for a ride onto the top pad.

Going to pick up the final plant or two for it tonight, will post a photo once done.

Thanks all