the best way?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,as my plants are growing well now i now have a small problem:

my sword is dieing from lack of light.i think,pretty sure,its to late to save.as some leaves have come off and all off the stems are brown.
so whats the best wat to remove this plant without causing to much mess etc..

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Dave it may be all right, the growing point is right in the middle, as long as it is only the older leaves around the outside that are dying off?

Take off any leaves where the "stem" (petiole) has gone brown, and new green ones should hopefully grow from the middle.

Why do you think it is lack of light?

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi darrel, the sword is now coverd by new growth from 2 java ferns and the plant growing
on the floating bog wood, can't remember it's name.
All the stems have gone brown, had a good look when I did a water change today.
It's also the only plant that hasent shown any signs off growth.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi darrel,
heres a pic off the leaves that i removed:

apart from the 4th one down ,witch was very crispy almost like dried up,
the leaveson the rest look good.just the stems have gone brown and very soft.
any idea way this has happened?
the next pic is the plant now:

cleared out around the left side.all but 1 off the remaining leaves look ok.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
It prolly just needs food, stick some root pills in, they feed from their roots..although I can't see any signs of nutrient deficiencies..the rotting off at the base is a worry..might be a plant virus..They do like a bit of room around them..It might be better now it had a trim..

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
It prolly just needs food, stick some root pills in, they feed from their roots..although I can't see any signs of nutrient deficiencies..the rotting off at the base is a worry..might be a plant virus..They do like a bit of room around them..It might be better now it had a trim..
well there is some new growth coming up left and right at the base.
ill keep an eye on it,i don,t won,t to remove it.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
had to remove the plant today.all new growth had turned brown and 3 of the older leaves were floating around the tank.the plant came up easyerly,didnt make half as much mess as i thourght it might.the base of the plant was dark brown and was a bit smelly.did a 50% water change too,just in case.its left a gap in the middle of the tank,the neons love it cos the recirculating pump pushs water through the gap now: