The house of gee is almost complete

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Whoop Whoop

After so much heart ache with the move I decided to cheer myself up with a new fish house:D

I have 2 "out buildings" at the bottom of the garden that are divided into 2 that each measure 13ft x 9ft. I have started on just one for now but will do exactly the same to the other in the summer and eventually join them together.

Due to the fact it doesnt have a DPC I decided to put a membrane down and then 50mm poly and loft boards so that I dont get any problems with damp. I would tell you about getting trapped in the fh because the floor height was now 20mm higher than the door but I wont as you will then know what a complete tw4t I really am:whistle:

It has a window that is now covered the same as the other walls.

All walls have 50mm jablite and will eventually be covered with Alufoil

Floor as I said, 50mm jablite and loft boards. I have some Lino that will be down tomorrow

The ceiling has 100mm jablite and 100mm Kingspan (thanks to macvsog23)

I bought a can of "big gap" filler and man you can have some serious fun with this stuff, Infact I rekon with about 50 cans of the stuff I could actually use it to create a fully insulated fish house:lol:
I used it on the gaps and holes I it really does work a treat and you can cut it easly

I will keep updating this thread until its finished in all its glory and the mecca is open for business

Cheers

thegeeman

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
A work of Art

Funny you never mentioned the door problem to me ?

Hop to limp round and have a look soon.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Dampness in a fish room is a menace, dos your out building have a brick cavity wall, or are you framing onto a single skin brick wall ?
A cavity wall help a lot to cure dampness, with single skin walls the temperature inside the room with damp air, and the temperature of outside the room, mainly in the winter, is where all the problems come from, a cavity is designed to help deal with this.

I have a single skin hut, and couldn't afford to do a cavity wall at the time, costs were just mounting up, looking back (everythings easy in hindsight), if i did it again i would go for the cavity wall.
I recently had to tile a meter up behind my tank racks and on the floor under the tank racks to give some where for the condensation to collect, and allow me to wipe it up every so often, i also invested in a dehumidifer with a constant drain, which helps the air in the hut a lot to not be so humid.
My internal walls are painted plywood and the bottom of them would rot a lot sooner than they should if i didn't tile the bottom.

A extractor running constantly in the hut dosn't seem to help either.

Are you wiring the room yourself ?
I did with mine, but i just followed my brother in law's instructions, as luckily he is a spark, and he also got me stuff cheap, which was a very big help.
I also had to seal off the fuse box (brother in law recommonded it ecause of the amount of wiring) with some PVC because of the dampness as it is metal and would have been affected by the dampness in the hut, luckily enough i never need to go into it.

Plywood trunking with the sockets cut into it;

You probably already know this stuff anyway Gee :D

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
OMG I thought mine was gonna look posh but yours is something else Andrew:lol:

Mine is single skin breeze block but I am creating cavity,s between the wall and the breeze block. I am then covering the whole room with the silver foil bubble wrap which works wonders. Its an identical set up to my old shed and because I had a few tiny vents I never had any problems with damp etc.
As for the Electrics I am doing the main bits myself but will get a spark to wire it into the fuse board.

I will get some more pics later today if my little chav son remembers where he left my camera:wb:

Cheers

thegeeman

2wheelsx2

Dec 21, 2009
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I'm envious of you guys who are able to keep external fish houses. Even in my mild west coast (of Canada) climate, the heating bill would kill me to heat an out building.

Looking great!

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I'm envious of you guys who are able to keep external fish houses. Even in my mild west coast (of Canada) climate, the heating bill would kill me to heat an out building.

Looking great!
But would it really?.

If you get the insulation correct then its cheaper to heat than a normal room in a house. I will be heating this room via a 300 watt shed heater which will be able to hold the temp around the 80 mark and then use tank heaters to boost some of the tanks that need higher temps.

Just think of it as a big poly box that people post fish in. They hold the temp pretty well for a 24hr period with just one of those heat packs.

Cheers

thegeeman

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hi

Gee is right once a well insulated area is warm or for that matter cool, heat loss or gain is very minimal.

My Fish house benefits from having one wall adjoining the house but the rest is signal skin brick.I have a very good roof insulation of 3 layers of "King Span"

I have had a total power loss and temp did not drop for 4 hours. This power loss was at night so the heat from the house had very little impact on the situation.

My main problem was filters being off for a long period.

I have now wired 6 separate radials in two for lights two for power filters and two for heaters and power heads.Wall insulation is a mix of foil covered fibre and good old "King Span". I find with a small radiator running of the main central heating and being very "quick" entering and leaving heat loss is minimal.

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin

Looking great!
I would faint at seeing a heating bill.Here Temps go below -20 cel sometimes.

Looking good so far G!

2wheelsx2

Dec 21, 2009
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I would faint at seeing a heating bill.Here Temps go below -20 cel sometimes.
That's the rub. My winter heating bill using natural gas, which is pretty cheap, is $250 a month in the winter for the house. And I keep my house at 21 C. To keep the outbuilding at 26 C would cost about the same, which would double my bill likely.

On the west coast it's not as bad. The coldest on record is -19 I believe. But last year we had 2 weeks of -12. This year it hasn't been as bad.

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I haven't brought up all the snow either.Average snow fall is 100 inches or around 250 cm.

I would use 1 of my snowthrowers just to make a path from the house to the shed.

:lol:

In my area most set-ups like this are done in basements.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
The coldest on record is -19 I believe.
Average snow fall is 100 inches or around 250 cm.
You 2 are just putting obstacles in the way of having a nice warm fish house to hide in:whistle::whistle:

Only the other day we had a night time temp of almost -3 and snow to depths in some area,s of the garden to 3cm. I nearly had enough to build a whole snowman:D:D

Cheers

thegeeman

2wheelsx2

Dec 21, 2009
Burnaby, BC, Canada
You 2 are just putting obstacles in the way of having a nice warm fish house to hide in:whistle::whistle:

Only the other day we had a night time temp of almost -3 and snow to depths in some area,s of the garden to 3cm. I nearly had enough to build a whole snowman:D:D

Cheers

thegeeman
Nice part is we don't need AC for our houses or fish rooms. :p