Unknown Black and White Pleco

Ike

Nov 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and fairly new to Loricariidaes in general.

I found this picture on a site about Rio Negro in Brazil, I have been thinking about planning a trip in the future to a couple fish collection sites and have been doing my research. I can't seem to identify this pleco under the name they gave it, and there is no attached L-Number. A sort of reverse dalmatian spotted.

I'd love to hear what you think, they name it Ancistrus sp. but I thought that was the Bushy-nose family, and this guy doesn't appear to have any bristly appendages.

Thank you everyone!

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Doesn't look like an Ancistrus to me either. Really only male ancistrus routinely have bristle/bushynoses. Looks more like a Hypancistrus & an abbarently colored one at that. Most likely not something you're bound to find all the time.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

Look I also tend to agree on a possible Hypan. Which one, well that I am not sure of. I am however sure that possibly so many new ones are found during each expedition and they are so diverse in colour and markings. Hope you will have fun on your expedition when you go. cheers jk :thumbup:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Its no hypan that i've ever seen before, could be a new sp., could be a natural hybrid, could be a unique young of an already known sp, could be a doctored photo :dk:, but as Lorne says, with any of the above, its unlikely that you'll find them in the hobby at any time soon, shame as its very attractive

Ike

Nov 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, I'm sorry this is the only photograph I found, Kind of like Bigfoot I guess lol.

I got it off an expedition site focused on bird watching and fish collecting.