Veggies every night?

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Do most of you feed veggies every night? That's what I've been doing and they're turning into chunky little logs. I'm starting to suspect they eat it just cuz it's there, not because they're hungry.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
3 nights of veg and 3 nights of wafers with 1 day a week of no food. If they are getting fat they are getting too much- cut down the amount of veg you put in and remove whats left in the morning.

What plecs are they?

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
It's the 3 Royals getting too chunky. ( 2 6"er's and 1 that's 5"). There's never anything left in the morning but the memories lol I'll cut down to 3 nights a week. Thanks :)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
No problem. I know its very hard to do but also give them a fasting day(unless breeding or conditioning for breeding)

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
:goodpost:
I was wondering the exact same thing
I was feeding my Royals large amounts of vegs daily but started to stuggle to keep the tank clean so have cut down and alternate between courgette sweet potato and cuecumber and dont feed for 2 days a week as well
I also make sure they have plenty of wood as thats part of their diet :)

Pete

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I use fresh veg on the majority of my plecs (even the more carnivorus) once a week.
For 5 days i feed alternate hikari carnivor and aqua one algae disks, 1 day with no food unless conditioning as doodles said.
Also when i know its close to the fish breeding ill feed Blood worms or shrimp.
HTH

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
My only royal is in a tank with L134 I hope to breed plus lots of baby fry so I have to feed every day and mix veg and some protein anyway. He seems fine.