Venting Zebra pleco

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
do you have macro on your camera as well ?
Also can you get a shot from above as the head size and shape could also assist.
Looks like a male to me, but then again also leave it too the experts, as I do not have L046. cheers jk :thumbup:

816johnv

Jun 30, 2009
Hull UK
Can someone teach me how to pick fish up like that, I am always scared they slipped out my hand or I drop them, I can catch them ok in the net, its just having the confidence to pick them up and hold them. Sorry don't want to steal this thread.
Snap lol

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Going by the size of the fish in your hand it appears to be 3 1/2 inches or about 8cm which is getting pretty large for a female. Males do tend to be the bigger ones.

The body shape from the pec bone up near the gills narrows all the way down to the anal fins with no noticable widening around the fins at all so that would also indicate male. A female should widen out just above the anal fins as that is where the egg ovaries are and she will have more like a cigar shape in the middle.

The vent is certainly well endowed and almost looks wide and round enough to be female but the white color V below it is not wide enough to be rounded at all so I would guess its a male.

Everyone handles their plecos differently but for those who have no idea I have done a little article on it here http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=128307