What am I getting?

Jul 16, 2010
mINNESOTA
I recently went up to Forest Lake Pets in mn and got two peckoltia sp. Now iam confuse if they are the same or different? one has alot of spiny sticking our all over body which i can i dentify clearly as peckoltia lineola. the other looks just like it but lacks the torny spines. at first i thought the spiny one is the male and the smooth one is a female. coloration looks the same on both tho. but i look around and found out that peckoltia brevis look almost just like peckoltia lineola with out the spine and torn too? now iam confuse if the 2nd peckoltia is a female of lineola or a different species. and is they are different like this can they hybrid and have unsterile offsprings like cichlids or will they not be able to produce offsprings?

picture be posted later.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
does sound like you have a male and female, but impossible to say what they are without any pics

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Difference appears to be in the head pattern between the two. P.brevis has spotted head, P. lineola does not.
Hairy/not are an indication of sex not between species, especially in the same family. In some instances even females can get hairy, just no to the extent of the males.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
nice fish, yes the male looks male. cant really tell the female from pic as cant see front fins or head shape very well, but could well be.