What are these?

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
I've got 9 in a tank, i was sold them all as 333's but then told they were 66's now i'm being told i have a mixture....i've looked in the booked, read on the net and i'm still stuck.

I've got individual images of each one if that helps.

Attachments

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
i've taken 2 images of each pleco.

Attachments

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i will be honest with you. Looking at the tails and patterns it does look like you have a mix, however nowadays with so many types of white black stipes around and possible mix breeding etc, it is a little hard to be 100% correct.
Why is the person who bought these off telling you this ? Have they also got a mix of adults in one tank ? sorry jk :thumbup:

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
They are all under breeding age, i bought 2 as l333's from 2 different places and a group of 10 from a breeder who put them up as l333's, some have passed on, others have stayed small.

My breeding groups are kept in separate tanks.

My confusion came from someone who came over to look at the 134's i sold and said what are they, when i said l333's he laughed and said you've been robbed, there l066's.

They have forked tails like l066's but surely 3 separate sellers can't have mis sold fish?
The patterns vary one each one, some paler than others some with thicker banding but looking at my breeding group of l333's they also have forked tails and the patterns vary alot.The person i bought the group of 10 from only had bn's and '333's' in the tank, obviously he could of been mis sold the fish but as far as either of us are aware there is no cross breeding from other hypans.
Argh i'm confused :cry:
But thank you everyone for your help and comments, i guess there a tank of hypans.:)

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
yup a tank of hypans indeed. with so many 66 and 333 and so many people confussed, i am sure somwhere maybe intermix fry occurred. Orig the forked tail was an indicator, but now even L333 have forked tail. I have 7 L333 breeding and they all look same but slightly different as well. cheers jk :thumbup:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
You havent been "robbed". Both L333 and L66 are equally as nice and about the same price. Its not like you paid L46 prices and they turn out to be L66, then you would have been somewhat mis-sold.

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
I don't personally feel robbed, 1 cost me £15 the rest were £6 each...they could be common bn's and i'd be happy with it.

I guess i asked more because if they did breed i wouldn't want to mis-label them once sellable but i can see any decent hypan buyer is happy with the fact they are hypans not just what L number they come under in a book.

Thanks guys for all your help, i've just spotted 15 wrigglers in with my 333 breeding group so it looks like i'll have more 'hypans' to add to my list of who knows what.:)

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Jozebs, at what point does the tail become more noticable forked? my breeding group have forked tails but yours look considerably longer than any i've ever seen.

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
These are 2 of the adults from my breeding group one is covered in a network patteren the other thick lines....it's wierd how two of the same fish can look so different.

Attachments