what foods?

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
i have a pair of bristlenose plecos, who i feed on cucumber, courgette, and sometimes bloodworm. i really want to give them as much variation as possible, what foods can i feed them to condition them and keep them happy overall. i have heard about mushrooms, red peppers, pumpkin and mussel. whats the best and safest foods i can give them? thankyou!! :D
btw my when i throw in wafers my plecs take a munch but get bored and never come ack to it, they dont seem to take anything off it either :S

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:hi:

Have a look here at the veggie list, all the veg are tried and tested by members over the years

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49

I would have 3 days veg and 3 days wafers, plus 1 day fasting as its good for their digestive system. Deshelled peas are good once a week as these have a slight laxative effect which helps keep everything moving, not too often though as they are quite high in protein. The bloodworms, i would feed occasionally as omnivore plecs are known to suffer from bloat when fed too much meaty foods.

Also would add some wood to tank as the ancistrus family are like to graze and may require lignin in their diet which is present in wood, but his hasn't been backed up as of yet by any scientific research as far as i know.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
thanks doodles!!! i will save that page, its sooo helpful! :clap:
i feed bloodworm to the other fish once a week, and the plecs eat the leftovers :) the tank has 2 pieces of wood in it. the plecs will certainly be very happy! i will fast them once a week, and feed them deshelled peas once a week. can i ask why they need to be deshelled? thanks so much doodles :lol:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
No prob.:D

They need to be deshelled as the plecs don't digest the skins very well which can lead to a blockage which can be fatal.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
oh ok thanks, dont want that to happen! :cry: lol
they cost me £20 each because they are pure bred, rare breeds :drool:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
What type of bristlenoses are they? there are a couple that need to be kept in blackwater and have a meatier diet.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
the Ancistrus triradiatus plec, but its a "Pedigree" strain. their parents were wild caught.
i will try and post some pics soon :)