what is this? L27..

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
They are clearly very stressed out (just arrived?) so I'd recommend you wait until they settle a little and take some more pictures.

They both look like Panaque armbrusteri from the Rio Tapajos. Do you know where they came from?

winglion

May 14, 2012
China
They are clearly very stressed out (just arrived?) so I'd recommend you wait until they settle a little and take some more pictures.

They both look like Panaque armbrusteri from the Rio Tapajos. Do you know where they came from?
I have no idea where they were import from. The fish dealer maybe reluctance to tell. He just post these up for sell. I think maybe the first one is gold line, and the 2nd is thunder. They were sold under these names.

Thank you for remind me of patient, it maybe needed. BTW, I wonder if the second one will grow into real adult thunder royal...

Last edited:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I'm 99% certain that both fish are the same, and are sold as 'Thunder' and 'Thunder Goldline'. And may or may not be Panaque armbrusteri from the Rio Tapajos.

Check these two sites Aqua City Akari and Stones Aquarium for what is listed as 'Thunder' and how they compare to others.

On Aqua City Akari, the first listed is as 'Thunder Royal' and to compare, the other two are listed as 'Platinum Royal'. Stones Aquarium lists them as 'Thunder Goldline' and also list ones from the Xingu (Platinum) and Araguaia (Goldline).

As you can see, there can be a lot of confusion with the different L numbers and common names.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
No problem. These are my favourite fish so I like being to talk/rant about them.

This one of my fish. It was sold as 'Thunder Royal' from the Rio Tapajos and I believe it to be Panaque armbrusteri. The trouble is that there is very little information about these fish. The description of these fish only includes two pictures of large fish, so knowing what the juveniles look like is difficult. And it seems that only large adults and juveniles are imported/sold.

winglion

May 14, 2012
China
middle size thunder were sold here, the window on the caudal fin is close, but you dont see them too often, this is from local forum, but I didn't find any photo series to show how these fish grows.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Thanks for the photo. And it does seem the caudal window closes sooner in these fish than other Panaque. The description mentions that no specimen above 11.4cm SL had a hyaline caudal fin window. From pictures it also looks like those from the Rio Araguaia do the same.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
And as luck would have it, Aquafin.jp just got a shipment of these fellas in.

The Japanese translation is a bit ropey, but they are from the Rio Tapajos and they seem to mention a difference between these and something similar.

winglion

May 14, 2012
China
Today I visited the local fish market, more than one shop have these fish in stock, I picked up one, will post the picture when the fish is stable. They got quit a few of L27 or LDA 63 (at least 40), fish owner said he got at least 3 kinds of small size L27. Maybe I will pick up one or two more if the one I got today turn out healthy.

winglion

May 14, 2012
China
Hi again ,I dig up this old post, I wonder do you have any present photo of your lovely fish? How they developed from back then? And What's that another fish in the 4th picture with slim vein line?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Looks like you got a lovely little 'Thunder'. How is he doing? Looks like he is eating which is a great sign.

You can check this thread for lots of my recent pictures.

The two fish in that old thread of mine are these 2. The other fish in the 4th photo is a Panaque nigrolineatus (L190) and is the one who recently turned yellow.

winglion

May 14, 2012
China
Hi!

How long is your Tapajos now? And may I ask where you collect your drift wood? I bought mine from the fish market, about 16 RMB/kG.

I see you like to visit Japanese online market some time. I came across this today, it got some thunder royal picture from 2005~06. I wonder if you saw this one before, anyway, I found the picture quality is quite good, and the naming system must be a little bit different by now.

In Chinese language, these thunder actually was name "thunder god" or L27D, these name maybe imported from Taiwan or HK with these fish. That's part of the reason why they are flying off the shelf every time they arrived. Good name matters.

I bought another one a few days later, I find understanding how they grow is quite fascinating. :)

Larry