what pleco is this?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hi everyone

We always go pass this pleco in our local department store. he/she is kept in a 70/80ltr tank and is about 30cm.
We have seen him in the same tank for about 5 years so i am guessing it is fully grown.
Would love to have in my tank but they wont sell ! pity seems like a way to small tank for this beauty.

thanks everyone

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
serious? why has it grown so slow? it so shouldnt be in a 70ltr tank then....ok complaint and black mail time coming to that store... (blackmail to give him to me)

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Good growth is the result of good keeping. Inadequate water changes, food and tank size can lead to suboptimum growth.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
that is so sad to realise that it is a common pleco and i could have said something ages ago- any hit/tips/idea what i should /could say to the manager?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
what is your intent ? buy or tell the LFS to put him in a larger tank ?

He will get biger. He does look well and fit. If you wish to buy, then ask again the LFS that you can offer him a much larger tank with room and hiding space etc. Money does talk, so just put in an offer. cheers jk

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey there big bird ..

its not a lfs shop , its a department store called the range that used to sell fish stuff but got rid of that stock but kept the tank.

I will offer them money for it after i rant and rave!

Im with talk talk

Last edited:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
My dad had a 60cm tank that had a 35cm Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps in it. He grew from a tiny baby and spent the majority of his life in there. When I took over responsibility, he had a 100cm tank for a while and then 150cm. He lived with us for 16 years.

I'm just saying this because I don't think you should consider the people bad and give them a hard time. Yes, the fish lives in tank that's too small and probably not maintained too well, but he also doesn't have to fear predation or hunger.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
My dad had a 60cm tank that had a 35cm Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps in it. He grew from a tiny baby and spent the majority of his life in there. When I took over responsibility, he had a 100cm tank for a while and then 150cm. He lived with us for 16 years.

I'm just saying this because I don't think you should consider the people bad and give them a hard time. Yes, the fish lives in tank that's too small and probably not maintained too well, but he also doesn't have to fear predation or hunger.

thankyou for telling me this- it has actually put my mind at ease and my consiuos. I will go easy but just stick to the facts.
Thanks again.
cc