What snail is this & how do I get rid of them?

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Howdy,

I must've got these snails when I bought some peacock moss from a LFS.
From the top they look like bird poo. They are pretty small & flat.
I took a photo but was hard due to their size.
I don't think I'm overfeeding & want to get rid of them ASAP
Please have a look

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I hate snails! I'll try & get a photo of an adult. They are flat & their shell sort of grows to the side of their body. I'll catch a Ramshorn too. I wish we could get assassin snails.
I bet someone here would them, just like piranhas etc

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Okay I'd is done!
Now how to get rid of them!

The only method that worked for me to strip down the tank and filter everything received boiling water and scrubed down !

First time I had snails and I was very new at this I listened to lda and dosed with copper big mistake! Don't use copper poisons
Unless you want to do step 1 then run copper or a day or two then change the water on third or fourth day with half fresh half aged with your fish

Yes big job !
Snail eggs are everywhere longer you leave ith the worst it will get!
Filter lines

So go buy a tub fill it up with tank water sponge filter that has been cleaned! Ie boiled and leave fish in there for the 4 days

I guess you can treat with copper with out breaking tank down ?

Pirarucu

Jan 6, 2010
Gold Coast (Queensland)
If you find you cannot control these snails buy a few clown loaches they will eradicate the problem, clown loaches love eating snails and will hunt them down to the last one...i find this the most natural way...i own 3 big clowns just for this purpose.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
I've never seen clowns hunt and kill snails in an aquarium but I always hear account of this!
I Hurd that they must be BIG! And in a lrg group to have them doing this?
As in an aquarium they get lazy and just get fat off the fish food

Maybe if you stop feeding just feed every 2 3 days ? Maybe?

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
These snails are great. They eat algae don't eat plants and stay very very small. They are a great clean up crew.

I wouldn't worry about them they're a very nice addition to an aquarium IMO

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thank you all for the replies. The red ramshorns I have annoy the hell out of my L's & grow reasonably big. I have cut down on feeding & am sending every snail I find on a trip to Bondi beach. I actually just sold clown loaches to set up this tank I have now so I buy plants and bang, I'm full of snails. I have shrimp & L fry in this tank so I have to be very careful. Do snail traps work? I am pulling out quite a few when I move the driftwood & off the back of the almond leaves etc but would love to be able to catch them all
Thanks again :)

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks Brenda. I bought heaps of it when I mistakenly thought I had planaria but am all out. I'll buy some more. Cheers

jaqie

Apr 30, 2013
oregon
foxtecha.com
I have those tiny white snails in my 90 gallon... they aren't a pest to me because thankfully my betta female pack eats them. The sand is littered with tiny white shells and I never see too many of the living snails, so I consider it a free diet supplement for my bettas.

BristleGoat

Oct 22, 2013
Perth
I was advised to try just the basic sucking catfish, so far so good. I went and got three from the local LFS and have seen a reduction in snail numbers since adding them to the tank that had a bit of a snail plague going on