what snail is this?

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Looking after a tank isn't complicated, you can use all the fancy terms you like and give as many theories as you want but I personally don't see the point of snails to maintain a healthy tank.

Change the water, occasionally turn over the substrate by hand, hoover/ syphon and trim plants.

Snails are pretty redundant as at the end of the day it is a confined box of water with fish in. Plus most snails are never put there intentionally so are pests as well as boring and ugly.

Just my opinion.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm fairly confident that less disturbance = more stability and more stability = better quality water.

It is the same principle as the reef keepers "Living Rock", complex ecosystems maintain stability.

If you do think you have too many snails and you are confident that you aren't over-feeding then even MTS are easy to net out at night with a baited net (prawn and carrot or cucumber works really well).

cheers Darrel
I find that in my tank that they do a certain amount of maintenance but not enough. They are a lot more useful with sand as dislodge harmful pockets of gas which were lethal to my shrimp but no good in my 5ft tank with gravel. I just think they look awful and have posted quite a few to people so it is just a matter of opinion. No doubt MTS do have the most purpose of all the snails I think but unfortunately one of the most unpleasant to look at.

I think my tank improves as well as my plants when I turn my tank over so the disturbance seems to help. I know most people don't want to maintain their tank if they can help it but doesn't bother me.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Just to confirm a rule of this site is to argue with the thread not the person. When you insulted me you started to argue with me not the thread. So i will not continue with conversing in this thread.

Last edited:

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
look jess, i started this thread to help me and others learn about the i.d of the snail and i have done this. Insulting me is not helpful to anyone. You are entitled to your opinion and fell free to have one just dont expect me to converse with you futher.
lol how is calling you cheryl cole an insult? sorry. So what do I call you then?

You did say you disagreed with me and yes I have an opinion as this is a forum.

Yes it is a MTS.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just to confirm a rule of this site is to argue with the thread not the person. When you insulted me you started to argue with me not the thread. So i will not continue with conversing in this thread.
Right since you have edited your post I will post again.

You started the thread so I am responding to you. Your question was what was the identity of the snail I confirmed what others were saying which is it is an MTS. So was contributing my knowledge to the thread like everyone else. If you don't like what I say or disagree than that is good as you need more than one point of view on a forum or what is the point of it.

I like others stated I don't like them and you disagreed with me, I stood my ground and by what I thought. Still think snails are useless and ugly, well MTS anyway.

I called you cheryl cole because you are just ccole and I don't know your name. So what is it? Do not be so serious, I'm not. Not insulting you just being stupid. lol.