what to plant?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,im looking for a small plant to add to my tank.
one that ned (L081) wont graze on,even tho he has and eats more veg than i do.id like one that stays small and would grow over or around the base of this bit of wood,to be planted in the red circle in pic:

cheers for any help.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Echinodorus tennellus, Hemianthus "Cuba", eleocharis parvula.

With any plec though I think carpeting plants are going to struggle just because of their sheer clumsiness.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Another idea which would be more practical is to attach some moss to the wood and allow it to grow on to the substrate

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Cheers FF MKII , I've seen a nice bit of flame moss on lava rock
on eBay. I didn't wont a carpet type of plant, tryed that with some grass
and the plecs dug it all up.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I was just thinking the same thing :thumbup:
Well I would just leave it but perry (L134) loves to make a cave
under that bit of wood, on that side. The last time she had a good dig she
nearly had the wood down. Only need a small plant/moss just to block
the corner off. The flame moss would fit the gap and stay small.
It does look good in my edge.....something to think about.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I like moss as well, and think it would be good for the corner of the wood.
Echinodorus tennellus
would do if you want a small plant and is tough or you could try a small Cryptocoryne, I like C. x willisii it has a nice shiny leaf and doesn't grow very big or very quickly.

cheers Darrel

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Nice! I think your tank is really nice. Could you tell me what lights you're using on your tank? I have regular fluorescent lights (its a low light tank) and I still get algae. Your tank looks pristine.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Thank you so much for the link, I appreciate it! You've inspired me to do some aquascaping. I plan on removing some plants and giving some more open space to my tank.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Thank you so much for the link, I appreciate it! You've inspired me to do some aquascaping. I plan on removing some plants and giving some more open space to my tank.
Little hint, do a large water change if ur moving ur plants around. Pic after too please.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
So I reaquascaped today. I got rid of a lot of plants and tried to open up some space in the tank. The poor cory's were getting stuck in between plants, there were so many of them. I took everything out and cleaned the substrate really well and did a large pwc. I moved some stuff around too. I'm hopeful that by tomorrow the tank will be less cloudy and I'll get some pics. I was really getting disgusted with the way it looked :lol: