What veg/fruit have you tried.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thought it would be cool to know what types of vegetables or fruit we feed our plecs and the 3 veg you think they most prefer.
( I used the veg list stickie to remind me of a few lol)

I have tried

Courgette/zucchini
Peas
Red/yellow/orange Pepper(capsicum)
Cucumber
Green Beans
Mushroom
Butternut squash
Aubergine
Sweet Potato
Broccoli stalks
Spinach leaves
Carrot
Grapes
melon rind
kiwi fruit

The top three are courgette, red/yellow/orange pepper and peas:clap:

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
My list:

Courgette/zucchini
Peas
Romaine Lettuce
Cucumber
Sweet Potato
White Potato
Broccoli stalks
Carrot

Top 3 in my tanks are courgette, sweet potato and romaine lettuce (GN's favorite)

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i put some blanched white cabbage in with my baby whiptails last weekend, they did eat it, so did the shrimp, but when i went to take it out the next day, it just turned to snot and blocked the filter, won't be trying that again lol

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
i put some blanched white cabbage in with my baby whiptails last weekend, they did eat it, so did the shrimp, but when i went to take it out the next day, it just turned to snot and blocked the filter, won't be trying that again lol
eeww:eek:hmy:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Cucumber
Courgette (Zuchini)
Potato
Sweet Potato
Peppers (Capsicum)

best received by far was courgette, only a L191 ate sweet potato and only a L253 ate the peppers

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
mine like green beans, lettuce (mostly for fry), courgette, cucumber, sweet potato, squash, peppers, peas.
all the things i dont eat lol

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Here is the list for my commons : Mushroom, courgette, cucumber, peas, butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot, broccoli stalk, green pepper and brussel sprout.

They love the first 3 : D

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
cool, thanks Bubbles. My common loves mushroom lol.

Hi Doodles Y/W, yes they love mushroom there is usually only small bits left floating, and they really love courgette, they eat the skin first : D

They arent so keen on bell pepper or green beans, which i forgot to put on the list, but now they are used to me putting their food in the same place, when new food goes in they seem to know they have to eat it : D

I still have trouble with them wafting the peas round the tank with their tails though lol.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
LOL im to worried to stray from zucchini but in the way of meat i am about to try some beef heart and see how i go (wish me luck).

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Other than Zuc., cuccumber, beans, mine are crazy for all kinds of pumpkin/squash, taro, yams, bitter melon, eggplant, mushrooms and several types of fruit including, apple, lychee, mango, dragonfruit(real messy), tomato and watermelon rind.

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Cucumber (the long skinny ones) seems to be firm fave around here.
Some plecs will nibble on zucchini, brocholi stalks, pumpkin, asparagus spears, choko.

I did try watermelon rind with most of the red removed and it was a big hit but I had to remove it after only a few hours as it breaks down very quickly.

Oh cooking, usually raw, blanched or in really hard veg partly cooked.