Whats going on?

fishmomma

Jan 13, 2012
CT, USA
My 55 gl tank just recently cycled and I went to my lfs to pick up some fish. I got 6 red eye tetras, 9 scissortail tetras and 5 giant danios. once they settled in I noticed all the tetras were huddled on one end of the tank and the danios were flying around all crazy and chasing the tetras when they tried to swim around. So returned the danios yesterday and at first it seemed to help a lot. The tetras were swimming around exploring the tank all happy...

This morning they're all back on one end not moving around much. Even when I fed them they would swim out, snatch a bit of food, and swim right back.

What the heck? the all look very healthy, nice colors now that they have calmed down. There's plenty of swimming space but they're acting like they are in a goldfish bowl...

I have the back and both sides of the tank covered with black paper to help them feel more secure.

theres some current but nothing too strong.

Lots of plants and hiding spots.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 15
PH- 6.6
Temp- 78F

any thoughts?:dk:

fishmomma

Jan 13, 2012
CT, USA
no, they're hanging out in the dead zones, well not dead, but less flow. They seem to be doing better this evening. A bit more spread out. Maybe they just need some more time to get used to their new surroundings. Thanks for the reply.:hi:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
right, probably as stated above, they are in a new home and not sure what is lurking around in there yet, but they should settle in once they realize nobody is hiding in there to eat them.

* I am glad to hear you returned the danios. I had a few zebra danios yrs ago, and I swear they never slept, they zipped around the tank all the time, and freaked everyone else out, everyone huddled in one corner. Made me dizzy just watching them so can imagine how the fish felt. Once I took them back to the store, everyone was happy again . I steer clear of danios ever since.

Good luck with your new guys and should be out and swimming around soon! Pictures when they get settled ...please :)