whats the difference between Marine & Fresh

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
Whats the difference between fresh and marine shrimp if any, i know the obvious some need salt! lol

i keep cleaner shrimp, peppermint, blood shrimp and a few sexy shrimp, so im well aware of shrimpy needs.

Question is, what is the difference between fresh and marine?
  1. Do they still shead skin once a month?
  2. Do they need iodine in the water to shead?
  3. Do they still eat brine shrimp?
  4. Do they jump on fish and clean them?

Cant think of any questions lol i just do it lol well anyone if someone could tell me if there is any real difference other than the water, because i may be tempted to get some for the tropical tanks too, i find shrimps and most inverts fasinating...

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Whats the difference between fresh and marine shrimp if any, i know the obvious some need salt! lol

i keep cleaner shrimp, peppermint, blood shrimp and a few sexy shrimp, so im well aware of shrimpy needs.

Question is, what is the difference between fresh and marine?
  1. Do they still shead skin once a month?
  2. Do they need iodine in the water to shead?
  3. Do they still eat brine shrimp?
  4. Do they jump on fish and clean them?

Cant think of any questions lol i just do it lol well anyone if someone could tell me if there is any real difference other than the water, because i may be tempted to get some for the tropical tanks too, i find shrimps and most inverts fasinating...
Hi
They shead their casing to grow no set ratio to this diet and water conditions have more of an effect on this.
They need calcium to shead properly see here http://plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4469
Yes they will eat brine shrimp
I have never seen them jump on fish I have seen some taking a ride on the back of snails :)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
There are no reports of any fresh water cleaner shrimps, but this doesn't mean that there aren't any. I would expect that a freshwater cleaner shrimp would probably show distinctive "cleaner shrimp" markings basically some combination of red and white and probably distinctive long antenna.

New shrimps are appearing in the hobby all the time (Sulawesi shrimps etc.) and at least one of these appears to be symbiotic with a sponge, so anything is possible.

A lot of the freshwater shrimps have a more vegetarian diet than their marine counterparts, size of pincers is a good easy measure, very small pincers mainly algae, big and meaty pincers = big and meaty food.

cheers Darrel