When to Move Fry

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Sorry that I have a million and one questions about cory fry. This is my first time raising cory's so I need some guidance. :)

I have 2 sets of C. Sterbai fry that are a week apart. One set is 3 weeks old and the other fry are 4 weeks old. In total I only have 9 fry. I moved them into a small 5 gallon aquarium but I really hate this fish tank. Its acrylic and bowed in front, so it's very difficult to see them. I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 Sterbai in it. This tank has a good HOB filter on it, rocks, sand bottom and driftwood. When can I consider moving the fry into this tank? It would make life a 1,000 times easier but I'm wondering if they're still too small to go into the 20g. I'm worried about them getting stuck to the filter...I know that probably sounds silly. But what do you think?

SS317

Jan 14, 2011
Nsw
I just put 10 of my fry that are around 1cm (mite be a little smaller) in my 4ft with 6 adult corys and a 9 adult L134s and there doing fine.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
For the filter intake just cover it with a sock or filter material, so they do not get sucked in. 1 to 1.5cm should be fine to move, i find cories tend to eat more the eggs and tiny wriggles and leave the free swimmer alone. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Thank you everyone!!! I feel better knowing that I can move them over. And BB, I do have a piece of stocking here for the filter intake (I keep it handy as a "just in case"). When you move them, do you stop feeding them as fry? In other words, I'm still feeding them bbs but I throw an algae wafer or shrimp pellet in as well. They never seem to go for the wafer or pellet, they concentrate on the bbs.

SS317

Jan 14, 2011
Nsw
I don't feed my Cory fry bbs because I find it hard to get them onto pellets or wafers after the bbs, just feed the adults as you would normally and when the little guys are hungry they will eat.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, I see that they don't seem to like the algae wafers or pellets once they get spoiled by bbs.

I did put the bigger fry into the 20g today with the older cories this morning and they had a blast. They were going up and down on the glass and racing around the tank following the older cories. It was almost as if the older ones were showing the young ones how to act. :lol: