where to get bulk algae wafers

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
hello,my l's are really going through a lot of hikari algae wafers is there someone who sells this in bulk please ?
thanks

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
theyre pretty expensive so ive bought a 1kg bag off ebay to try that,i hope theyre good quality as theyre only $17.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
you would never get Hikari 1kg bags off Ebay for AUD 17 ? If yes please let me know. Sure Hikari is expensive, but they are the best for the plecos. I hope your ones are up to scratch and do not cloud the water. cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
They would be just spirulina wafers which are great for bristlenoses and maybe even the panaques will eat it. Good luck getting any of the other plecos to eat it though.
Hikari has a pretty high ammount of more meatier ingredients in its algae wafer recipe.

If buying off ebay, make sure its in Australia. Aqis quaranteen will confiscate any fish foods coming into Australia if you don't have an importers permit.

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
the wafers i got sure arent hikari theyre a brighter green,l's seem to like them but left them alone the first night.the supplier is in qld called allpethomes.anyone else here used their wafers?

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
im just trying them out i have hikari on hand as well,there must be more than one good brand available.

Pirarucu

Jan 6, 2010
Gold Coast (Queensland)
These are the brands of algae wafers i use...Hikari Algae Wafer, Spectrum H20 Stable Wafers, Wardley Premium Algae Discs, HBH 'Grazers' Algae Wafers...These wafers are as good or just as good as Hikari...some of these products can be found through (Age Of Aquariums) which you can buy online or walk into shop, if you have the stores in Sydney. :thumbup:

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
They would be just spirulina wafers which are great for bristlenoses and maybe even the panaques will eat it. Good luck getting any of the other plecos to eat it though.
Hikari has a pretty high ammount of more meatier ingredients in its algae wafer recipe.

If buying off ebay, make sure its in Australia. Aqis quaranteen will confiscate any fish foods coming into Australia if you don't have an importers permit.
i surely hope not, i just spent like $400 on fish food from the states

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I brought 1kg of hikari algae wafers off of ebay for about $17 from an aus distributor, and my god the worst s%$^ i have ever bought. It looked completely different to the pic and was a fleuro like green with large black dots of something in it.

Dissolved like crap and would not be touched by anything in the tank. Needless to say i learnt my lesson :), when it comes to food unless its reputable and i cant see it or touch it i always second think the purchase.

I am trying to update my variety of foods at the moment too :)

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I am using the omega one veggie bites for young fry atm and they seem to be doing well on it. I only bought a jar of it to try but I did a google search and it is available in 1kg lots online. On a dollars per gram basis I think it worked out about the same has the Hikari algae ones and at least its a bit of variety.
I found they crumble a lot easier than the Hikari ones which makes feeding young ones easier.

MUTLI

Mar 5, 2011
Bundaberg ,qld
cant go wrong with hikiri, I dont mind spending a little extra knowing the fish are going to eat it plus the PNG rainbows dont mind them as well

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I actually raised a guppy fry on hikari algae wafers, i didnt fed him but cause he was in grow out tank he survived but died recently full grown :(