Which Sturisoma

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I bought this fella last week, can anyone tell me what type of farlowella it is?
I think it may be male as the nose is a bit fuzzy

Cheers
Gemma

EDIT, I meant which Farlowella, DOH!

Last edited:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i can never see any difference between the farlowella sp. but i'd have to go by size, if its bigger than 6", i'd say f.mariaelenae, smaller and i'd say vittata

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
farlowella

Gemma, for a quick check, look at the scutes or scales on the ventral surface. if theres two rows its likely to be vittata, if its three it could be marialenae or any other species.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Gemma, for a quick check, look at the scutes or scales on the ventral surface. if theres two rows its likely to be vittata, if its three it could be marialenae or any other species.
Thanks Mark, it has two rows so it looks like its vittata

Cheers
Gemma

andyj

Apr 25, 2009
Derby
That was going to be my suggestion/question ;) Beat me to it!

Also, the length of the nose can be used to determine which sub-species it is.

I've got a Vitatta in one of my tanks, and I'm looking at picking up a breeding group to add to my collection on Saturday ! :woohoo:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hi

I have had moderate results with breeding farlowella sp (Don,t ask what Sp)

I never raised the fry
I found as with all the leaf/glass spawning whip tails the fry were reluctant to move in search of food and staved.