White Worm Culture

Arfthebrick

Apr 30, 2010
Devon
can any one shed light on why my two white worm cultures have a dust like covering over the peat and very small white worm in size and quantity. I am feeding on porridge oats and keep the peat moist. They are kept in the bottom shelf of my tank cabinet under normal room temps. any advice welcome as to what I need to do to grow the culture on with larger worms and quantity. Was feeding from both cultures upto March since then things going down hill. Cheers Arf.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
You need to re-culture them, it amy well be temperature related becuase they don't like temperatures much over 70oF.

Try adding a bit of limestone grit, egg-shell or oyster shell to the new compost as it may have gone sour. You could also try adding a thin slice of "peel on" raw potato as well as the porrige oats and possibly occasionally feeding with wholemeal bread, instead of oats.

PM if you want some Grindal worms, they aren't as big as white worms but they are otherwise fairly similar and they grow quicker in the warm, so they may fill the gap until your white worms start up again.

Red worms are also a bigger meatier alternative and easy to culture.

cheers Darrel

Arfthebrick

Apr 30, 2010
Devon
Darrel long time no contact by me, I have recultured the whiteworm and thing are looking up,Last time you mentioned grindle worm cultures and red worm culture . Can you still supply either , niehter or both . Hope to hear from you soon ( although I go on hols for a short break middle of next week) . keep in touch cheer's Arf.

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
i wouldnt feed your fish white worms to much as they are very high in fat and feeding them to much to your fish will make them sick but on the other hand they are really great for bring your fish into breeding condition but best done in moderation giving your fish a mixed style of food is better for there helth in the long run if u feed brine shrimp you will get more fry every spwan and sperilana flake food and blood worms and daffnia that will get u better resoults with your fish