will a 5g q-tank be too small ?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi everyone, I have a cycled 5g ready for when my L264 arrives in a few weeks. It will be aprox 4'' . I do not have another tank to use as a q-tank. Will this be ok ? If not , what is to be expected---a mini cycle ? I am sure Sultans can't handle any water problems . Need some advice . Thanks ,

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello and glad that you are looking ahead. I find 5g to small, but would go for a 10g instead. Just my personal view cheers jk:thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi jk, thanks for the reply. I too understand a 10g is better for a q-tank, but can I get away with the 5g or will I have water problems ? (just that I hate to go buy a 10g to use once for a few weeks ) but my main concern is having a mini-cycle as this would not be good.... So can I get by with the 5g without any water probs or does it look like I am asking for trouble ? The L264 is 4'' and I plan to add a small piece of wood for him while in q-tank. That would be the only thing in the q-tank. It is bare bottom with no decorations or rocks or plants. thanks ,

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
If I had the space I would buy a quarantine tank that I would breed shrimp in and keep free for any sick or wounded plecos. I've had that problem lately and it sucks
Good luck with the sultan Georgie. Beautiful fish! :)

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
You say cycled but you don't give any details. What do you mean by cycled? And how are you holding the cycle? These really are factors regardless of tank size. You'll get a mini cycle in a 100 gallon tank if you don't take the right precautions, it just may not be as noticeable. So long as the filter is cycled to handle the biloload of the pleco then everything should be okay. If not, then you'll see a mini cycle. You can bump up the filter by adding ammonia everyday to simulate the addition of the new fish. You should also cut back on feeding when first introducing the fish. Sultans are mainly meat eaters so don't suffer the same type of feeding issues that face herbivores at import so getting them feeding well initially isn't a major concern. I've kept a lot of plecs in a 5gallon temporarily. A 4" fish shouldn't be a major issue.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Lorne, thank you for the reply.

to answer your questionn, I have a small marineland/bio-wheel on the tank. To cycle it I used finely crused flake food and some mulm from the 54g.

I have been keeping it cycled by continuing to ''feed'' it the finely crushed flakes .

This weekend I will be purchasing a few boesemani rainbows to put in the q-tank. Hope that will be enough bacteria to hold the L264.

Many thanks again for your reply.