Your Least Shy Plecos

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Which plecs in your tank are the least shy. Happy to be out and about during the day and don't shoot off if they see someone look at them?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
my least shy pleco are my female L066, i have 3 of them and 1 of the group loves being on show, i quite often use a tourch to look in the tank just to make sure all of the plecs and corys are ok and as soon as i do this the female comes out to display, she loves having the tourch shined on her

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
I've only got 2 that don't dart off everytime i walk near the tank. They are the big fella but i guess he can't really shoot off under and ornament. And the other would have to be my largest L001. Everytime the camera is out he comes to the front of the tank. Loves having his pic taken lol.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Do Otos count? if not for sure its my L001 Goldspot, this guy is boss period!
Yep otos count, thats quite interesting actually, i've been thinking about maybe getting some.

my least shy pleco are my female L066, i have 3 of them and 1 of the group loves being on show, i quite often use a tourch to look in the tank just to make sure all of the plecs and corys are ok and as soon as i do this the female comes out to display, she loves having the tourch shined on her
Thats quite funny, that she comes out for that reason lol

Sam

Apr 24, 2009
Sussex, UK
It used to be my L001 - but for some reason he's no longer as brave as he used to be. :( He ws poorly for a while a few months ago. I tried various medications and he's not been the same since. :(

My Sturisoma never hide or dart away and happily spawn with tank lights on.

Over the past year, my Royal has become much less shy. He's quite happy for me to sit by the tank in broad day light. However, at night with the tank lights on - he prefers a bit more distance.
Unsure why different light affects him like that though!

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Maybe as their still settling in but my L001 is a bit nervy still, the L021 is a bit better, mostly as he hasn't many places to go but he isn't bothered about me as long as i don't lift the lid, Gibby obviously and the BNs in the 96. The smaller L021 in the 6ft is normally ok but all the mid-small plecs in the 4ft hide all day.
Generally most will say the same, the big guys even if they have places to go will be a lot braver than the smaller fish. Depends a lot on how long you've had them and how well they've been treated, a happy fish isn't a scared fish.

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
My l200 sub vird is really starting to get used to or maybe trained to be looked at.

He found a place in the front of the tank with some driftwood coming out giving him some head cover. He just sits there and chills until you get closer to the tank and his fin starts to rise up.

Now he is warming up and getting comfortable with my head a few inches from his tank.

Now he sits there, watching me as I gaze at him, His fin starts to slowly go down, but still on edge.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Our Gibby I'm sure he looks for food when I go near the tank :clap:
Our larger Royals will come out if I sit still by the tank but the smaller Royal is still pretty shy
Pete

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Its funny that a lot of the bigger plecs seem to be pretty brave.
I think my least shy plecs are my LDA25 pitbulls--they never care if you look at them, they don't move sometimes when you clean out the tank, actually have to give them a nudge. But they do get spooked on occasion and if the gravel is deep enough, they dive into it and all you can see is the top of the head, they blend very well.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
All of my plecs are quite brave, my GNs are probably the most active during all hours. My L90 is quite active and also my 3 smaller Hypans. I have a young L25 and a to be ID'd psueda both about 4" and they are the shiest and most nervous once they come out.

pealow

May 21, 2009
My baby calico longfin bristlenose is very busy and out all day, but my L340/129? hides all day.