Zeb tank makeover

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Been having a bit of trouble with my zebs and lost one the other day. Think a rock might have injured it. Anyway, I have decided to go against barebottom tank with high current and change it into an undergravel filter with a reduced powerhead.
To prevent a cycle, I have retained the current cannister filter until the gravel gets its media established.
A mistake I made was not heating the gravel before adding it. It pulled the heat from 28C to 25C and its taking a long time to get it back up to the usual temp.
Before shot

After shots and zeb pics since usually I never see them.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I planted a few sword plants in and something supposed to be a rose but I suspect it is a Echinodorus as its huge. Just put the anubias straight in the gravel for the moment till I boil up my new bit of dw. It looks like a dragon. :)

lealea

Apr 25, 2009
Brisbane Australia
Im a big fan of gravel base tanks and planted tanks making them as natural as possible. I like the new home better. I aslo place some plants between the front of the cave and the front of the tank so they feel safer and have somewhere to dart out to and eat. thanks for sharing bregun. lealea

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I ended up having to change most of the gravel. I had added a double handful of crushed coral to stop the tank having pH crashs with my low pH but I found out its potent stuff. PH kept rising up to 7.5 daily after wc so I removed most of it and replaced with non coral spiked gravel.

Every nite I place a towel across the front of the tank for privacy and this morning one zeb was up on a ledge near the dw. About time they came out of the caves and had a look around. :D