Zebs

BluE SnipeR

Oct 11, 2009
Sydney
Any zebra experts out there want to help me have a go at sexing these guys, they are still a bit small, roughly 6cm. Thank you.
Fish 1

Fish 2

Fish 3

Last edited:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
first 2 also look like they have much thicker leading rays on the pectoral fins, and fish 2 certainly has some "spikey" growth on them

BluE SnipeR

Oct 11, 2009
Sydney
By head size/shape and the slightly hairy pectoral rays on the first 2 i would agree with those above.
Thanks mate, fish 1 is constantly caving and has done some strange things, the other 2 just sits under rocks.

I would of thought fish 2 would be the one caving as it is the bigger fish and if anything should be the dominant one.

Cheers.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
very nice. I am hopeless with sexing but I can see the middle one is a male from triangle head and spiky fins. how old are they do you know?

BluE SnipeR

Oct 11, 2009
Sydney
very nice. I am hopeless with sexing but I can see the middle one is a male from triangle head and spiky fins. how old are they do you know?
Not really sure how old they are but I'd estimate them to be 1.5 years+

I was hoping fish 1 would be a female but it looks like that's gone out the window as its the only fish that's caving at the moment.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sitting in a cave does not mean its a male.
she might just want to hide. the males may take territory or even fight each other over a choice cave.

BluE SnipeR

Oct 11, 2009
Sydney
sitting in a cave does not mean its a male.
she might just want to hide. the males may take territory or even fight each other over a choice cave.
I do notice that with my other hypans, so there is still hope for a trio but I would be over the moon with a pair.

Lets give them another 6 months.